RENT | Teen Ink

RENT

April 8, 2008
By Anonymous

“There is no future, there is no past. Thank god this moment’s not the last.” Rent’s talented cast sings for the last number. But, on September 7th, 2008, that moment will be the last for RENT, Broadway’s 7th longest running show. Opening on April 29th, 1996, RENT took off as the most popular show of its time. Jonathan Larson, the author of this compelling rock-opera, died suddenly on January 25th. He never got to see his amazing show hit Broadway. For 12 years, Larson’s heart and memory has lived on in this show. RENT tells the story of a group of friends. Roger and Mark live in the East village together in one small apartment. Benny, the landlord, is begging for the rent. Roger is HIV positive, and lost his girlfriend April to AIDS. Mark was just dumped by the bi-sexual performer Maureen for Joanne, the lawyer. Tom Collins, who also has AIDS, falls in love with the cross dresser and once again, HIV positive Angel. Meanwhile, Roger is falling in love, but with HIV positive Mimi. It all may sound confusing, but once you get to embark the wonderful experience of seeing this show live, you will be blown away. RENT has these captivating messages that have captured the hearts of many different kinds of people. RENT has taught me, as well as others, to accept people the way they are, to embrace the moment, and to live life to its fullest. RENT also started out the careers for many members of its original cast. Taye Diggs, now the star of ABC’s Private Practice and many other movies, was Benny in 1996. He met his wife Idina Menzel in RENT, while she played Maureen. Now Idina has won a Tony Award in Wicked, been in tons of movies, and has 3 albums out. Adam Pascal, who played Roger, now has been leads in many musicals as well as movies. The original cast was filled with young, undiscovered, talented people who found out who they were, struggled with Jonathan’s death, and traveled on this terrifying journey of being the first’s in this spectacular show all together as a family. As RENT closes its curtains in September, it will seem as if Broadway is gone. But, Jonathan Larson’s message will live on in our hearts forever. “No day but today.”