The New Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Don’t worry. Lots of kids have moved here and made new friends in the blink of an eye,” my new teacher tells me. “Oh, and don’t be concerned about your braces. Most everyone has them here.”

Great. Even my new teacher thinks I’m a nerd, and he hasn’t even known me for five minutes. If my teacher thinks that, I can’t imagine what the rest of the class is going to think.

I wonder what kind of speech he gave them about me, “The New Girl.” He probably made it sound like I’m some kind of freak with weird allergies whose dad just died and everyone should be nice to me.

I wish I was back with my friends at my other school, where everyone knew me and I was the one hearing the new-kid speeches.

The bell rings, and the class piles in. Maybe if I don’t move, they won’t see me. Oh, well, it was a nice try. Everyone stares like I’m some kind of alien.

This weird girl walks in and says, “Hi, my name is Alicia.”

“Um, I’m Annie,” I say.

She makes a really weird face and says, “Hi, Annie. You can sit with us at lunch today if you want.”

What a dork …

Maybe this new school won’t be so bad after all.

peanut707 said...
with a military family we move  alot and i can totally relate. but after being at the same school for a year im still waiting for the point when i can say this wont be that bad! 

da boss said...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 7:40 am:
it feels like the first day i went 2 school...
that was a long time ago iv been in the same school for 5 years...
but thats the one day i always remembered

MorganD replied...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:27 am :
I understand what you mean. I've been switched around all the time. Because, when my older sister commited suicide in 2010 that broke all of us, and then we moved from Kentucky, to Wisconsin. I had to make all new friends, and on top of that my parents divorced, so i've been switching school singe 3rd grade. Every year was something different, a new school, different school, new people, making new friends. It's extremley hard, i'm not going to lie. I am now a freshman in high school

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 7:30 am:
I like it!  I move all the time, so this speaks to me.  I like how she says "what a dork" then "this won't be so bad".  It is like a present - she sees something good in something negative. :)

SnickerLover said...
oh okay....

Danielerr_Kidd said...
May 14, 2010 at 10:38 pm:
i had a similar experience. and his story kinda reminds me of it. really good(:

hatelove said...
ve moved so many times...i have no  freiends i never no were ill be nexdt...be happpy

Core4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 9:13 am :

I have been in the same school since as long as i can remember......

but even after 15 years I still don't have friends, like true ones.

fellforitagian replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm :
Core4..i have searched all my life for good firends. i finally have 3. i cant help but hope that you find what i have. its out there somwhere, waiting. i know it.

becca09-69 said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 8:48 am:
its okay i  no were you are coming from i am moveing to so don't be scared

polyprincess16 said...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 7:35 pm:
ive never been the new kid, but we're moving this summer and im kinda scared. but at least you found someone nice.

TaylorM said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 9:02 pm:
at least your honest!

juicyfan6 said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 3:26 pm:
I started at my school as a new girl a few years ago. The difference was that there were a lot of other new kids. But the kids that had been there longer treated us differently -- ugh. I don't think anyone likes being the new kid hahaha.

LesleyChow said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 9:25 am:
This sounds real. I really felt sorry for you.

KallieAllieBingbong said...
Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:08 am:
This story is amazing I love it this is my first favorite.
You really know how to type good job :o

kaylaboo101 said...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 9:43 am:
when i had to move i felt like everyone had their eyes on me i barley said 2 words that day

Natasha M. said...
Thank you for writing this! After moving 10 times between six countries, it's nice to know someone else feels the same way!

kaylaboo101 replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 9:42 am :
wow thats crazt moving 10 times i would die

LoveTravelTell replied...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 4:59 pm :
6 different countries...What was that like? I've always loved travel- but why did you have to move that much, if you don't mind my asking?

ihtszkiiddo95 said...
Dec. 11, 2009 at 11:35 am:
I feel the same way when i go to a new school. i feel weird because i wont know what group i can fit in!