Sister: Rosemary G. | Teen Ink

Sister: Rosemary G. MAG

By Anonymous

   I have always heard the expression "You never know what you have until it'sgone," but only recently did its meaning hit home. I finally realized howawesome my sister really is.

Two years ago, she moved away for college. Ithought it would be great without her to fight with. There wouldn't be anymorefighting over the phone, wearing each other's clothes, or arguing about how shehas more freedom. Plus, I would have more attention from our parents. I thoughtwithout her everything would be like icing on the cake. Never did I think I wouldfeel incomplete without her.

I always knew we had a special bond, but Inever knew how strong it was. I realized she made my childhood worthwhile.Without her, I wouldn't have half of my best memories. We shared every nighttogether until she left. She knew every thought I had, every dream, every goal Iwanted to achieve. She knew every secret; she knew me inside out.

Weshared every Christmas Eve in each other's rooms talking about our pasts, andeven our futures, together. I'd fall asleep on her shoulder waiting for morningto arrive, then wake her up so that we could open our presents way before it evenhit five o'clock. So many memories: spending every Halloween getting ready fortrick-or-treating; getting ready for school together every morning; singing inthe car to the latest hit.

Wow, do I miss all those times. But I guessit's time for us to have the lives we always dreamed about. I guess her leavingfor college wasn't as good as I thought. Too bad she had to leave for me torealize how awesome she is.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think howmuch she really meant to me, or how much of an impact she had on my life. I justwant her to know how much I care about her. I guess what they say is true, youreally don't know what you have until it's gone. But one thing I know for sure isthat she completes me.