Students Take the Slopes | Teen Ink

Students Take the Slopes

By heyabbby SILVER, Merton, Wisconsin
heyabbby SILVER, Merton, Wisconsin

Sure, the weather is cold enough, with temperatures below the freezing 32 degrees, but by the middle of Decemeber, all that seems to occasionally fall from the sky were a couple of rain drops. So how are students going to get out on the skiing and snowboarding slopes with no snow? Lucky enough for all of those winter sport athletes, some ski hills can make their own snow.
Whether you want to stay near and go to the Highlands of Olympia, Cascade, Little Switzerland, Sunburst, or Alpine Valley, or if you are willing to travel to Granite Peak or Whitecap Resort, there are plenty of ski hills choose from.

The Highlands of Olympia, located off of Interstate 94, is perfect if you are looking to stay close to home. According to www.olympia. Org, Children, five and under, and seniors, 65 and over, get in for free. Juniors, ages 6-12, get in for $15 and adults, and people aged 16-64 have a price of $20.
Olympia opens on December 16th, for the early season, and remains open until March 12th, for the late season. They offer rentals and season passes. Season passes are offered at $249 for juniors and $299 for adults. Family passes are $699, and are for four people.
Ski rentals for a child are $10, for a junior, $16, and $20 for seniors and adults. Snowboard rentals are also $10 for children, $19 for juniors, and $23 for adults and seniors.

Cascade, another popular ski mountain, is located in Portage, WI. It is known for it’s excellent skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing hills. Pricing for Cascade Mountain is free for children 12 and under. For up to eight consecutive hours, an adult costs $45. For an all day ticket (open-close) the cost is $49. For the last five hours of the night, a ticket is $25 and for a three-day ticket it’s $88. Cascade also provides lodging, flexible hours, group specials, and plenty of runs.
Little Switzerland, which closed down in 2007, is reopening this year under new ownership. Little Switzerland is located in Slinger, WI. Since the new ownership, the snow-making machines were rebuilt, they improved the ski lifts, and made renovations to the slopes and lodge. Although it has not yet reopened for the season, they plan on having big crowds and great business. Prices and hours are not yet available.

Sunburst Ski Resort is located in Kewaskum, WI. It is known as one of the most popular ski hills in the area. It has skiing, snowboarding, and tubing and sledding hills. Sunburst is now open and will remain open until February 13th for the mid-season.
Prices differ on weeknights, Fridays, weekends, and holidays. Wee nights from 4-10 p.m. is $30 for adults, $20 for seniors and children of the ages 12 and under, $15 for children of the ages 5 and 6, and free for children 4 and under.

Weekends and holiday tickets—from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.—are $40 for adults, $24 for children of the ages 12 and under, $15 for children of the ages five and six 6, $25 for seniors, and free for children four and under. Weekends and holidays from 2:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. are $37 for adults, $22 for children of the ages 12 and under, $15 for children of the ages 5 and 6, $25 for seniors, and free for children four and under. Rental rates are $30 for an adult ski package, $20 for skis only, $10 for ski boots only, $22 for a children’s ski package and $30 for a snowboard and boots.

Alpine Valley is located in East Troy, WI which is about 40 minutes from Hartland, WI, but it is definitely worth the drive. Although it may be a tad bit more expensive, it is always a thrill at Alpine. It is one of the largest ski resorts in Southeastern Wisconsin.

Weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. is $32, from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. is $32 and for the full day, $46. On weekends 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. costs $42, 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. is also $42, and for the full day, $52. The rentals at Alpine Valley are $24 for the ages 7 and up and $12 for the ages 6 and under.
Now if you are willing to take a weekend break, like the three day weekend of January 20th, right after final exams, and you want to hit the slopes, going up north for some different spots.

Granite Peak Ski Area, located in Wausau, WI, has the country’s longest ski lift, over 2,000 ski and snowboard rentals, a historic chalet, and has increased their snow making by 25% this year. But, what’s the best part? They have 74 runs.

Granite Peak provides lodging and they offer a three-day life and lodging package. If you stay for a Friday and Saturday with lift passes and lodging, you receive free lodging on Sunday and a free life ticket for Monday.
For an adult 2-day pass, the cost is $102 and $33 for additional days. Children, ages 6-12, are $74 for a two-day pass and $26 for additional days. For a two-day adult and child combo pass, it costs $132 and $66 per additional day.

Another resort up north would be Whitecap Mountain. It is located on the western end of the Lake Superior Snow Belt and is a bit west of Hurley, WI. This ski resort had 43 runs and many trails. With a weekend at Whitecap, you are always in for a treat. You can lodge at the hotel that is onsite, or rent out a house for the family: which is something Whitecap is great about, family.

There are different pricing options at Whitecap. It ranges from adults (18-64), juniors (12-17), college students, children (7-11), toddlers (6 and under), seniors (65+), and a family to get full days, half days, or a two, three, or four day pass.

Adults pay $45 for a full day, $38 for a half day, $78 for two days, $95 for three days, or $118 for four days. Juniors pay $34 for a full day, $29 for a half day, $60 for two days, $79 for three days, or $100 for four days. College students and seniors pay $34 for a full day, $29 for a half day, $60 for two days, $79 for three days, or $100 for four days. Children pay $22 for a full day, $17 for a half day, $40 for two days, $56 for three days, or $68 for four days.

Families pay $130 for a full day, $260 for two days, $390 for three days, or $520 for four days. Toddlers are always free. Along with the lift pricing, rentals for all ski materials are $22 a day and $35 a day for snowboards.

So who needs snow to hit the slopes? All of these runs are open and snow is being made at the mountains. Don’t wait because this season only comes once a year.