Social Networking | Teen Ink

Social Networking

May 2, 2011
By terrindgrier15 BRONZE, Madison Heights, Michigan
terrindgrier15 BRONZE, Madison Heights, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You are a 17 year old in high school. One day you are hanging out with friends, you meet someone new that seems like a cool person, and you have been hanging out and talking all day. Then, when the time comes to split ways, she asks for your cell phone number, but you don’t have a phone. She then asks if you have a network page, which you do. Thanks to that network page, you see her request and you are able to connect and communicate.

Are social networks the next biggest communication system? Social networking websites allow for people to create new relationships, to reconnect with old friends and family members. I have a social network page, and while my phone is off, I cant communicate with my friends. Instead I refer to networking, were I can chat and setup times to hangout with friends. “Social networking sites bring people with common interest together.” According to ProCon.Org. A lot of people are against social networking sites because “they make people use their time online and less time interacting face to face.”(OPV Resources). Also, people believe that “social networking does not provide anything and is useless” (ProCon.Org). I disagree with the first part; personally social networks do offer a lot, like chatting, pictures, event creations and much more. Specifically they are a great tool, because you don’t pay to use the website. Also, I disagree that you don’t spend a lot of time face to face because I really don’t spend a lot of time on the websites. I only really use the site to communicate, and find locations of people, but ultimately spend most if the time hanging out face to face.