steroid use in the mlb | Teen Ink

steroid use in the mlb

By babybeater BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
babybeater BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

When you think of steroid use in the Mlb you probably think there are just a few people on steroids like Barry Bonds, or Mark McGuire. But the truth is there’s a lot more than just a few people that are steroid users. José Conseco stated in his book Juiced that nearly 80% of all players are users. David wells also stated on 60 minutes that 30% to 40% of players use steroids. I am going to tell you three of the major topics in the Mlb having to do with steroids, players that use, consequences, and record holders that have used steroids.

There are a lot of players that have used steroids. The first case of steroid use was in 1973when Davey Johnson of the Mets hit 43 of his 136 homeruns in one season, not to mention that he played for 13 seasons and his next highest total was 18. Barry Bonds has also been accused of using steroids but never convicted. When Barry was 27 years old in the prime of his career he hit 25 homeruns 10 years later at age 37 which should of have been the downside of his career he hit a record braking 73 homeruns. Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, Alex Rodriguez, Roger Clemens, Andy Pettit and Manny Ramirez are just a few other big name players that have used steroids.

I think the league should be a lot stricter on the consequences for using steroids. There have been a lot of people that have been caught using steroids and nothing even happened to them. Although the league has made some good decisions to like the 50 game suspension of Manny Ramirez for his first time getting caught. I think that the first time a player gets caught it should be an automatic 50 game suspension with a fine. The 2nd offense should be a one year suspension with a fine. I think if a player is dumb enough to use a third time it should be a life time ban from baseball.

There are a few players that have used steroids and are now all time leaders in a category. First of all I don’t think it is fair at all to the players who have never used steroids and were just amazing at the sport to get there records taken away by a player that was all juiced up on roids his whole career. Second I think that if the league catches someone using steroids they should just drop all his statistics from the year he started to the year he ended using steroids.

I told you a little about the players that have used steroids what I think the consequences should be and the players that have used steroids that hold records. After hearing my opinion of steroids I hope that you will also be against the use of them and the players that use them.