Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Consumed By Greed | Teen Ink

Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Consumed By Greed

By AnnieRachel SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
AnnieRachel SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Imagine it’s early morning; you’re sitting outside a bank, impatiently waiting to go inside, so you check your watch and you see that it’s 8:10 AM, and you sigh. You tap your feet that are incased in shoes that are far too warm for this weather, and while the sound of cheap rubber hitting marble is barely audible, it’s the only sound that’s heard. Five minutes pass silently and you begin to sweat a little bit, sitting there on the marble stairs of the bank. You sit, waiting, bored because nothing is happening, until you very suddenly feel an incredible heat, your body begins to ache from its very core and you gasp for air: then you never feel anything again...

They disappeared. Hundreds of thousands of innocent people literally evaporated off of the face of the earth in a single moment: 8:15 AM. Watches stopped on wrists, skin burned hotter than the sun and then in an instant, ceased to exist; for their molecules burned into nothingness. Are the atoms that were once people still here, and are they watching us as we live our lives? Do they know how to love, how to feel? Have people found their past loves and reunited in an atomic bundle of matter, perhaps a cloud?

We were learning about Hiroshima and Nagasaki in history class and it affected me profoundly...so I decided to write this. I know it ends kind of abruptly, but so did the lives of the millions who died.