Iraqi Elections Popular as Ever Despite Violence | Teen Ink

Iraqi Elections Popular as Ever Despite Violence

By purplepigsdx SILVER, Pleasure Island, New York
purplepigsdx SILVER, Pleasure Island, New York

Iraqi citizens were surprisingly not deterred by the constant violence of terrorist cells and still went to the polls to cast their vote. Bombs, protests, and riots are one of the dangers that face any citizen that was going to vote, but it still has not been able to stop the popularity of this election. Al Qaeda and Sunni and Shiiite extremist groups are the ones responsible for inflicting the violence.
In Anbar, 61% of people voted an increase from the 2% in the 2005 elections. Not only has Anbar come to vote, but 67% from Nineveh, an increase from the 3% and the turnout in Diyala and Salaheddin was 70%, an increase from the 25%. U.S troops were at the polls and on the scene with the Iraq military to try to keep as much protection as possible.
This will definitely not be the end of the bombings for now. Even when elections are finalized, violence and casualties are still going to persist. Dozens of attacks led to the deaths of over 40 people so far and that number is expected to increase. "We mourn the tragic loss of life today,” President Obama said in a press conference “and honor the courage and resilience of the Iraqi people who once again defied threats to advance their democracy.”
The will of the Iraqi people is at an all time high as they go to elect for the 325 member parliament. If all goes well after this historic election, U.S troops could be fully with drawed out of Iraq as soon as 2011; a prospect that appeals to many U.S citizens as well as Iraqi citizens. Iraqis walked away from the polls with a sense of pride from voting for a country that is becoming more democratic and unified. Election results will be released Thursday.