New Beginnings | Teen Ink

New Beginnings

By McKenzie Martinez SILVER, Denver, Colorado
McKenzie Martinez SILVER, Denver, Colorado

Is a “new beginning” really possible? Before you automatically answer “yes,” think about it. There are circumstances when you are able to start fresh. But that’s technically not a new beginning. The past is the past. It happened. It will always be there. You can not erase it. You may be able to block it out or forget about it but it still happened and nothing can change that.

The biggest problem with “new beginnings” is that if you do not surround yourself with completely new people who didn’t know you at all before, changing your reputation is an almost impossible task. People will always remember you for what you’ve done in the past, no matter how hard you are trying to create a “new beginning” for yourself.

Even if you are able to completely surround yourself with new people, you still have to “overcome” yourself. If you have acted a certain way for a long amount of time and you decide to change, it’s not going to happen overnight. You must change your thoughts and words, as well as your actions. This is another almost impossible task and one that takes time. You may be able to fool others, but can you fool yourself?