Over 300 students dropout of African High School in one day | Teen Ink

Over 300 students dropout of African High School in one day

By Kierra White BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York
Kierra White BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York

In August, 2009 there was an outrage over an education crisis. Approximately 325 students dropped out of a school with 12,100 pupils. Kamuli is a medium sized city that is somewhat poor, and is located on the Eastern side of Africa. The high dropout rate consisted of 200 girls and 125 boys. Parents place pressure on their daughters to leave school to partake in an arranged marriage or to become parents themselves. John Casklons, a parent, said “Teens shouldn’t have the permission to drop out of school because of their personal lives”.

George Muscokse, a parent of two said, “It is absurd how parents allow this to happen, they must be punished”. If this high rate continues then the school board will close the school in the city Kamuli. The city next to Kamuli is miles away. So this means that students who attended Kamuli High School will now travel miles in order to attend school. There are no laws dealing with the high rate of drop outs in Kamuli, Africa. The mayor of Kamuli is Lutu Ronald, and he says, “I will try to make Kamuli shine.” This means that he will do his best to decrease the insane drop out rate.

In Roslyn School District, there is a low percentage of drop outs. The last time a student dropped out of school was approximately three years ago. Basically, there is a low percentage of teens dropping out of Roslyn High School rather than Kamuli High School. Vicky, a student at RHS said, “I think it’s a shame how parents allow this to happen to their kids”.
Elizabeth Archie, a parent as well as a teacher said that, “Parents shouldn’t encourage their children to do such a thing; they should live their own lives, and get their education.”

NOTE TO THE EDITOR: THIS IS A REVISED VERSION OF A PREVIOUSLY SUBMITTED PIECE OF THE SAME TITLE. PLEASE REPLACE THE CURRENT POSTING WITH THIS ARTICLE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION.