Mr. McCart says I am a romantic. | Teen Ink

Mr. McCart says I am a romantic.

Mr. McCart says I am a romantic. I hope I am not a hopeless one. He is my European history teacher
and I did not like his class at first but it turns out he is a pretty good guy. I am not sure if I
am a romantic but when I told him about my plans to jump off the roof outside his window, he seemed
very interested, but also very sad. He told me he hoped very much I would decide not to jump off
the roof.

Anyway I wonder if being a romantic has anything to do with being in love, because I think I am. Or
maybe I am not old enough to really be in love, but I am very confused, and excited about
everything, and my dad says that is what being in love feels like. He is usually right about that
sort of thing.

Her name is Karen and she is smarter than me and she would probably beat me in a fight. That might
not sound very special because lots of girls are smarter than me and I am not very strong, but not
very many girls like to talk about how golden the waves on the hillsides are in autumn. Mostly they
just talk about what a terrible place Reno is and how all the plants here are brown.

I was going to ask her to a movie the other day, but once she saw me the skin between her eyebrows
wrinkled and I suddenly felt very guilty. I didn't ask her to a movie, but she said she heard about
last Friday at Adams and she is very sorry, and that I don't have to drink to impress her, and she
just doesn't want me to get hurt. And when I started blinking a lot she gave me a hug so I could
hide my face in her shoulder.

And I think that might mean a lot more than just one night at the movies.

MelJoy BRONZE said...
MelJoy BRONZE, Vallejo, California

"Someday my enemies may win... but not today!"

I really like hearing what you have to say. Please keep writing and also, please don't jump off a roof! :)