Grandfather Donald Ray Parker | Teen Ink

Grandfather Donald Ray Parker MAG

I had never really given heroes much thought untilI came across an essay contest where entrants were supposed to write about theirheroes. I have always enjoyed writing, so I sat down with a notebook to writeone. I tried many approaches using firefighters, policemen and celebrities, butnothing seemed to fit. I finally gave up and went to bed.

The nextmorning, my alarm didn't go off and I walked out the door just in time to see thebus pass my house. With no other option, I called my grandfather, who was morethan happy to give me a ride to school. As we drove, he told me stories about hisyouth and I smiled and listened. I appreciated the ride, but didn't think toomuch about it. That night, though, when my mom came home she told me mygrandfather had cancelled an important meeting so he could take me to school. Isuddenly felt really bad for taking the favor so lightly.

A few weekslater, I became sick at school. Since my mother and father work, the only personI could call was, again, my grandfather. And again, he was there to pick me up.It turns out he had been in the middle of running errands when I called but,again, he put me first. Arriving at my house, he made sure I was comfortable andhad everything I needed. He spent the rest of the day checking in on me betweenerrands.

It was then that I knew I had a topic for my essay. Hero isdefined as "someone noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose,especially one who has risked or sacrificed their life." If you were to askme for a definition of the word hero, I would say that it is someone who is therefor you and is willing to sacrifice themselves or needs for your own. This iswhat makes my grandfather my hero.

i love this so much!