Planting the seeds of change: Creative Solutions to the Problem of Deforestation | Teen Ink

Planting the seeds of change: Creative Solutions to the Problem of Deforestation

By 25jchun BRONZE, Tenafly, New Jersey
25jchun BRONZE, Tenafly, New Jersey

Since 1850, 30% of all carbon dioxide emissions came from deforestation (Melillo). To expand agriculture, gain materials, and build factories or houses, we have been clearing the planet’s forests. This is known as deforestation. The land where our houses stand right now was once a forest and a home of wildlife; now, when we look around, it is not easy to find an area that is not impacted by urbanization and technologies. Cutting down forests leads to less absorption of carbon dioxide by trees, which causes a more severe level of climate change. Furthermore, deforestation forces wild animals out of their homes, while also harming their food sources due to soil erosion. However, no one can run away from the consequences of the loss of forests. Before we cut down even more trees and accelerate global warming beyond the point of no return, now is the time to take direct actions and stop this environmental problem. If I had unlimited resources, power, and access to save our planet from the threat of deforestation, I would bioengineer an organism that could restore eroded soil’s fertility, construct tree planting robots to revive forests more efficiently, and use virtual reality to raise awareness and educate people on the significance of combating deforestation.

The first innovative solution that I would create is going to be a bioengineered bacteria which could revive the damaged, eroded soil due to deforestation. Since soil erosion causes loss of nutrients, eroded soil prohibits the plants from growing and makes agriculture difficult (“Soil Erosion”). The bacteria would be a microorganism that cannot be seen with bare eyes; this would make this solution efficient and convenient as it would allow it to quickly restore the targeted area. This tiny creature could produce the necessary nutrients such as nitrogen, potassium, and calcium, which are lost during the process of soil erosion. The only challenge for this method could be a high cost at its initial stage of production. The required labor cost would be high as people would need to do a lot of research to engineer the bacteria, identify target damaged areas, and apply the bacteria to those affected spots. However, still, the efficiency and positive impact of this bacteria could outweigh the cost. These bioengineered organisms could become a great first step in increasing oxygen levels in the atmosphere and restoring the lost wildlife. 

In addition, I would also like to create tree planting robots, which would plant trees in areas affected by deforestation. Compared to manual methods, they could be more efficient and quick. They would be equipped with advanced sensors and algorithms, so they could analyze terrain and soil conditions to determine the most suitable spots for planting. With their ability to work tirelessly and without time constraints, these tree planting robots could cover large amounts of land in a much faster period of time than humans could do. These robots could also access and navigate challenging and hazardous terrains that may be difficult for human workers to reach, such as steep slopes or areas prone to erosion. Despite the initial challenges of funding their creation and regulating their implementation, these automated machines could give a promising solution to replenish forests on a large scale, which would fix the current problem of deforestation. 

My third innovative solution to the problem of deforestation would be using virtual reality to raise awareness and educate people about the importance of combating deforestation. Through immersive experiences, virtual reality could transport people into virtual forests, allowing them to witness firsthand the beauty and biodiversity of the ecosystems we are destroying. These virtual experiences could evoke sympathy and understanding in people who would never be able to access such areas. Virtual reality educational programs about the harmful effects of deforestation could go beyond geographical locations and cultural differences. They can also educate people of different ages and backgrounds, so we could empower individuals to take actions towards conservation and protection of the valuable forest and wildlife resources for future generations.

If I had unlimited resources, access, and power, I would create a bioengineered bacteria that could revive damaged soil due to soil erosion, construct a tree planting robot that could quickly plant trees in already deforested areas, and use virtual reality programs to educate people of different backgrounds how to restore the forests and wildlife. The bioengineered bacteria would increase crop yields and produce more food sources by creating useful nutrients. Furthermore, the tree planting robots would reduce the labor cost and time needed to replenish the valuable forests and wildlife habitat that were lost due to deforestation. Lastly, the VR immersive experiences that show the value and beauty of the planet’s forests could encourage individuals who do not have the access to directly see the impact of deforestation to participate in movements to combat deforestation. Deforestation is a threat to wildlife, humans, and our planet. Now is the time to act decisively through these creative solutions to protect our forests and secure a sustainable future. 

Works Cited

Melillo, Jerry. “Forests and Climate Change.” MIT Climate Portal, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 7 Oct. 2021, climate.mit.edu/explainers/forests-and-climate-change. Accessed 29 Mar. 2024.

“Soil Erosion.” Mongabay.com, worldrainforests.com/0903.htm. Accessed 29 Mar. 2024.

I've always cared about environmental problems. Deforestation seems like one of the most alarming topics to the climate change and environmental problems. I created some innovative and creative solutions to combat deforestation.

on Apr. 9 at 1:20 pm
sparkles-125 BRONZE, Bangalore, Other

“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
— Nelson Mandela

This is wonderful. Thank you.