How does vaping from a young age influence attention span? | Teen Ink

How does vaping from a young age influence attention span?

By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey

Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul

Vaping, or the use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), has become increasingly popular among young people in recent years. E-cigarettes heat a liquid (known as e-liquid or vape juice) that typically contains nicotine, flavorings, and other chemicals, producing an aerosol (or vapor) that users inhale. While many believe that vaping is a safer alternative to smoking, research has shown that it can have negative impacts on the brain development and cognitive functioning in young people, potentially affecting attention span as well.

Nicotine, the primary addictive substance in tobacco and vaping products, is known to have significant impacts on attention span and cognitive functioning. Nicotine acts on the brain's reward system, releasing dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and motivation. This dopamine release can increase attention and focus in the short term, but long-term nicotine use can interfere with the brain's ability to focus and learn.

Studies have found that nicotine can disrupt the development of brain regions involved in attention and executive function, such as the prefrontal cortex, which plays a key role in decision-making, working memory, and cognitive control. These disruptions can lead to deficits in attention span and other cognitive functions, such as memory and learning.

For example, the study by Jacobus and Tapert (2014) reviewed existing research on the effects of substance use, including nicotine, on the adolescent brain using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The review found evidence that nicotine exposure during adolescence can have negative impacts on the prefrontal cortex, a brain region involved in attention, decision-making, and impulse control.

The study by Goriounova and Mansvelder (2012) used electrophysiological methods to investigate the effects of nicotine exposure on prefrontal cortex neuronal network function in adolescent rats. The study found that nicotine exposure disrupted the balance between excitatory and inhibitory signaling in the prefrontal cortex, potentially leading to deficits in attention and other cognitive functions.

The study by Leffa et al. (2017) examined the cognitive and molecular effects of adolescent nicotine exposure in rats using behavioral tests and gene expression analysis. The study found that nicotine exposure during adolescence led to deficits in attention and memory, as well as changes in gene expression related to cognitive function.

The study by Kim et al. (2013) investigated the effects of lead exposure on cognitive function and attention span in school-aged children. The study found that exposure to lead was associated with deficits in attention and cognitive function, suggesting that exposure to heavy metals like those found in some e-cigarette liquids could have negative impacts on cognitive functioning and attention span.

In addition to affecting attention span, nicotine use can also increase the risk of developing mental health disorders, such as depression and anxiety, which can further impact cognitive functioning and attention.

While nicotine is the primary concern when it comes to the effects of vaping on attention span, many vaping products also contain other chemicals and flavorings that may have unknown impacts on cognitive functioning.

For example, some flavorings used in e-liquids have been found to be toxic when heated and inhaled. One study found that heating and inhaling the flavoring compound diacetyl (which is commonly used in e-liquids to create a buttery flavor) can lead to a severe respiratory disease known as "popcorn lung." While the levels of diacetyl found in e-cigarettes are generally lower than those found in traditional cigarettes, long-term exposure to this chemical and others like it could potentially have negative effects on cognitive functioning and attention span.

Furthermore, some e-liquids contain heavy metals, such as lead, which have been shown to have negative impacts on cognitive function and attention span in children and adolescents. A study by Kim et al. (2013) found that exposure to lead during childhood was associated with attention and cognitive function deficits. While the levels of heavy metals in e-cigarettes may be low, regular use of these products could lead to cumulative exposure over time.

In conclusion, using vaping products, particularly those containing nicotine, can negatively impact young people’s attention span and cognitive functioning. Nicotine can interfere with brain development and disrupt the functioning of brain regions involved in attention and executive function, potentially leading to deficits in attention span and other cognitive functions. Additionally, the other chemicals found in e-cigarettes, such as flavorings and heavy metals, could have unknown impacts on cognitive functioning and attention span.

Given the potential negative impacts of vaping on attention span and cognitive functioning, it is important for young people to be educated on the risks associated with these products. Parents, educators, and healthcare providers can play a role in educating young people about the potential negative effects of vaping and helping them make informed decisions about their health. It is also important for policymakers to regulate the marketing and sale of vaping products to young people and to support research on the long-term effects of vaping on cognitive functioning and attention span.

Works Cited 

Goriounova, N. A., & Mansvelder, H. D. (2012). Short- and long-term consequences of nicotine exposure during adolescence for prefrontal cortex neuronal network function. Cold Spring Harbor perspectives in medicine, 2(12), a012120.

Jacobus, J., & Tapert, S. F. (2014). Effects of substance use on the adolescent brain: an MRI-based review. Current drug abuse reviews, 7(4), 218-232.

Kim, Y., Kim, B. N., Hong, Y. C., Shin, M. S., Yoo, H. J., Kim, J. W., ... & Oh, S. Y. (2013). Co-exposure to environmental lead and manganese affects the intelligence of school-aged children. Neurotoxicology, 34, 37-42.

Leffa, D. D., Bellaver, B., Zimmer, E. R., Souza, D. O., & Gonçalves, C. A. (2017). Cognitive and molecular effects of adolescent nicotine exposure in rats. Neurotoxicology, 59, 140-147.

National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2021, March 26). Electronic Cigarettes (E-cigarettes). Retrieved from drugabuse.gov/drug-topics/tobacco-nicotine-vaping/e-cigarettes

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2016). E-Cigarette Use Among Youth and Young Adults: A Report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health.

As someone who chooses not to smoke, I can't help but be bothered seeing many students in my school, some being my own friends, fall into this dangerous trap. I was inspired to write this article because I was interested in how vaping during the teenage years can impact the brain.