Two Peas in a Pod | Teen Ink

Two Peas in a Pod

April 27, 2009
By Kacey Childress SILVER, Metairie, Louisiana
Kacey Childress SILVER, Metairie, Louisiana
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have never really been one of those girls who wear jewelry on a daily basis. I have friends who wear two rings on each hand, a necklace, and bracelet everyday. I have known people who feel “naked” without their signature pieces of bedazzlement. I had always wanted to be the jewelry wearing type, so I bought various rings and bracelets. But it seemed no matter how hard I tried, I just could never leave the pieces on for more than a few weeks. However, recently I have become a member of the daily jewelry wearing club. I now feel naked if I do not have my “Two Peas in a Pod” necklace on every day.



This necklace is more than just a pretty accessory; it represents my best friend, Christine. She gave me the necklace as my seventeenth birthday present, and I have worn it everyday since that day. The pea pod charm is close to my heart, just like Christine is even though she lives six hours away from me. I became friends with Christine, a pretty, tan, dark haired girl, in fifth grade after we both joined our school’s newspaper staff. It seems that after that moment we instantly became friends. She is extremely talkative, bubbly, opinionated, and can make anyone laugh. We remained friends throughout middle school, but we were not each other’s “best friends” until eighth grade.



During eighth grade year, Christine and I were inseparable. We only lived a few blocks away from each other, so we practically lived at one another’s houses. When it came time to go to high school, Christine and I were going to different schools. However, we remained close. After our first week of high school, Hurricane Katrina hit and displaced us both to Texas . Once we could return home to New Orleans , we ended up back together at a transition school, because both of our high schools were heavily damaged by the hurricane. Our first half of freshman year was filled with chaos, but all of it was fun. We went to school together and became closer than ever.



However, this did not last for long. Christine found out that she was moving to Houston . The pay there was better for her mom, a nurse. I was devastated when I heard the news. How was I supposed to survive high school without my best friend? She helped me become the person I am today. She has made me more outgoing, and I am totally myself when I am around her. What was I supposed to do on weekends without her? As time came for her to leave, I had accepted that she was moving, but promised to keep in touch. I have kept my promise until this day. Christine is my best friend, and she has been through my high school years, even though we are in different states. She comes in town often, and I fly to Houston to see her. We talk daily and inform each other of our trials and triumphs. Now that we are graduating high school, she is off to University of Texas , while I am attending Louisiana State University .



When I move on to L.S.U., I know my pea pod charm will coming with me, even if Christine is not. I love having a signature piece of jewelry, and I smile every time I am asked about the necklace. We will still be two peas in a pod, no matter what the distance is between us.