The Power of Kindness | Teen Ink

The Power of Kindness

June 9, 2017
By Jessica.Ahern BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
Jessica.Ahern BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 I believe in the power of kindness. I believe the simplest acts of generosity can make the world a better place. Kindness can be the easiest part of your life. Anyone can be kind, and there is no excuse not to be. Whether you tell your friend you like her dress, or pay for the person behind you in line, kindness should be in everybody’s lives. I believe in the power of kindness to change the world.
   

“Kill them with kindness” is an infamous quote I like to refer to in my daily life. There is no reason to have drama with somebody. If somebody chooses to dislike you, bully you, or just be mean in general, just be kind. There is no reason to fight back. If you act like you don’t care, it makes them look worse and you will look like the nicest person ever. If you just act kind to people, they will treat you the same. My mom always taught me to live a drama free life. If you are angry, vent to a parent or best friend and let it go. Life is too short to hold grudges. My life is filled with kindness because I rarely get into a fight with anyone. All it takes is kindness. Treat people with kindness and respect, and you will get the same in return.
   

My dad always told me to live life like a camera is watching you at all times. WHat he said really stuck with me because if I were on camera, I would want to seem as generous as possible. As a result, I always try to give random acts of kindness and see people’s excited expressions. I believe that performing random acts of kindness is the best way to strengthen the power of kindness. One night, me and my five best friends Jessie, Ana, Julia, and Jillian were at the 99’s. There was an old man sitting all by himself, and we overheard the waitress say ¨happy birthday to him. Depressed that he was all alone on his birthday, my friends and I decided to pay for his bill. Just that simple act of kindness made this man's entire birthday. He, as well as the other waiters, were all so impressed with us girls. Everyone came up to us after he left thanking us for showing kindness towards a stranger. In return, the waitress thought we were awesome for being raised the right way, she gave us free dessert!
   

One night, my sister Madison, her friend Grace, and our dance teacher Nikki went out to dinner. The whole night they were having so much fun that they didn't even think to go on their phone all night. One guy sitting at a different table happened to notice how much fun they had without technology, he decided to pay for their meal. He thought it was amazing how much fun they were having. This act of kindness by the man made their day so much better, and they came home to tell everyone about it. Random acts of kindness like that is what makes happier people all around.
   

I believe the power of kindness can be stronger in everyone’s life if they just try. Simple things like telling your teacher what a great class that was, to buying somebody’s whole meal, can make a difference in the world. I believe that incorporating kindness into everyday life can make somebody’s day a whole lot better, and maybe even save a life. I always incorporate kindness into everyday because it makes you, and the other person feel good. If I didn’t follow my belief, I wouldn’t have the amazing, caring friends I have today.
   

It is so important to have kindness in everyday life. Kindness can make somebody’s 0/10 day, go to a 6/10 day just in one compliment.By spreading kindness, you are saving a person or multiple people from a horrible day, and who knows, you might get a nice compliment back as well.


The author's comments:

This was written for my English class, and something I really believe in.