Legacy | Teen Ink

Legacy

By q.camelot SILVER, Riyadh, Other
q.camelot SILVER, Riyadh, Other

Is it important to leave a legacy? Well, in order to answer this question you have to know what a legacy is. A legacy is anything handed down from the past. This could be an heirloom, a legend, or history; something to be remembered by. The legacy of the Roman Empire, for example. But we don't have to leave a big, well known legacy like that. We, ourselves, write our legacies every day. By making new friends, you leave a legacy. By helping someone you don't know, you leave a legacy. By writing a book, you leave a legacy. By teaching a class, you leave a legacy.

Now that what a legacy is has been fully explained, I can answer my question. Is it important to leave a legacy? I do believe so. Yes, you don't need to leave a big legacy; Most people don't! But like I said before, leaving a legacy is anything memorable about something, or someone. You could leave a legacy on someone by being a good person, student, teacher, or friend. I feel like not leaving a legacy is like not helping anyone around you. Not being nice to anyone around you. Not doing anything. It's as if you were never there.

People will argue that it is not important. That there is some bad things about leaving a legacy. But isn't there always something bad in everything? Nothing nor anyone is perfect. But, we have to remember that it is not all about leaving your mark on the world. I feel like it is having an impression on someone that really makes a legacy. “Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.”
- Shannon L. Alder.