What The Flag Means To Me | Teen Ink

What The Flag Means To Me

By Sahara11 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Sahara11 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Laughter fills the air as children chase one another in a backyard. Families gather together for holidays, reminiscing of the past. America is filled with national landmarks and wildlife, protected and preserved. This is what soldiers fight for, and that’s what the flag represents.

The flag of the United States of America was first made in 1775 when the American Revolutionary War started. It was created with 13 stars and stripes for the 13 colonies. When the flag was lifted in the air for the first time, it encouraged and inspired young men to join the war efforts and fight for their freedom.

During the War of 1812, the Star Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key. Key was inspired to write the Star Spangled Banner during the battle of Fort McHenry when the United States flag was perched in the sky. Today, our National Anthem influences people to serve America -- the flag reminds them of the brave men who fought during the War of 1812 and the wars after.

When a person joins the U.S. military, they are setting their life on the line for people and our freedom. When we stand to say the pledge of allegiance in school, we are honoring those soldiers. When we sing the National Anthem at football games, we are honoring those soldiers. When we celebrate the fourth of July, we are honoring those soldiers.

The children on the playground might not know about the soldiers who fight for them. The family members gathered around the dinner table might not know about the soldiers who risk their lives for them. Americans might not think about soldiers and their sacrifice, but when I look at the flag, I remember them.