Should There Be An Age Limit On Cell Phones? | Teen Ink

Should There Be An Age Limit On Cell Phones?

October 14, 2011
By AnDrew15 BRONZE, South Dayton, New York
AnDrew15 BRONZE, South Dayton, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Should there be an age limit on cell phones? Some people say that there should be; some people say that there should not be. I say that there should be an age limit on having a cell phone. Do you think that there should be an age limit?

There should be an age limit on having a cell phone. Young people would just abuse the privilege. I say that the proper age to be able to have a cell phone is 15 years old. I say 15 because that is about the age when teens start to go off on their own a lot and parents usually want to know what their child is doing or where their child is. Why should a little kid be able to have a cell phone? To be able to text their friends just for something to do? Why?

Some people say that young kids can have a cell phone. They say that they are responsible enough and will not abuse the privilege. Some people just want to check up on their kids, which is fine except for the fact that some kids will do whatever they want because there is no one there to stop them. If parents want to be able to check up on their kids they should just call the house phone or give the phone to the trusted adult. It would be best to just call a parent rather than giving your kid your phone.
With buying a cell phone, though, you keep the phone companies in business and give them more money. Young kids would just run up the phone bill by texting and calling, and they would use the web way too much if the phone had web access. Cell companies have enough money as it is; parents should use that money to buy necessities for their family.

Cell phones should only be used in an emergency if parents choose to give one to their kid. If your child is in any kind of accident, they could use the phone to get help. That should be one of the only times they would need to use a phone! Yeah, if your house was burning down you would call for help, but don’t use a phone for just texting their friends. It is always good to have a cell phone handy just in case of an emergency.

So should there be an age limit on cell phones? There is both a yes and a no side. What do you say, yes or no?