Against Legalizing Marijuana

They say marijuana is a helpful medicine. They say it makes you calm down and feel good. They also say that it isn’t as dangerous or harmful as alcohol and other drugs. Those are some reasons why they want to legalize marijuana. But are they right? No they are not. Marijuana should stay illegal in the United States because if it is legalized, more people will smoke it, causing negative effects on health and families.

If marijuana is legalized, people will think smoking marijuana is something we can do every day at anytime, which increases drug use. People are going to smoke marijuana without getting in trouble or getting arrested. Also there is going to be easier access to marijuana, and it will be cheaper to buy. These same things happened when alcohol was legalized. Also, drug dealers can grow marijuana without getting arrested, and make a bunch of money off of it. “Van Deventer, a news reporter, described how he and his friends used drugs casually for a while. He felt like he was growing closer to addiction. But buying illegal drugs wasn’t easy. Van Deventer and his friends feared being arrested. They worried about undercover cops posing as drug dealers, who often sold them fake drugs” (Legalizing Drugs, pg 67). According to this passage, Van Deventer stopped using drugs when it was illegal, because he didn’t want to get arrested. If drugs are legalized, he and his friends would use drugs casually again.

Increased drug use leads to negative health effects. For example people who are depressed use marijuana because they believe it will calm them down, and make them feel better. However, this isn’t true because marijuana worsens depression. Other negative health effects are respiratory illness, lung infections, and cancer of the lungs, mouth, throat, and esophagus. Marijuana users have a higher risk of cancer then cigarette smokers. Also, after a few minutes of smoking marijuana, your heart beats faster and your blood pressure drops. Because of lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that marijuana users have a four times higher chance of a heart attack within the first hour of smoking marijuana.

Legalizing marijuana would also lead to negative effects on families. Marijuana use at work and school lessens from 13.6% in 1988, to 3.8% in 2006, according to USA Today. Marijuana use basically got smaller after it was legalized. Also, younger teens will use it. Parents will use it and give bad example to younger kids and teens, and parents will use it and become high around their kids. Marijuana affects teens and their ability to concentrate in school, and drug-using parents will neglect or abuse their children. If marijuana stays illegal, these negative effects will lessen. “The more the barriers there are (cops or the hassle or the fear of dying from an overdose) the less likely you are to get addicted,” according to Van Deventer (Legalizing Drugs, pg 68). He’s trying to make the point that because marijuana is illegal, there are more consequences when smoking marijuana, than if it was legalized.

Why take the risk of legalizing marijuana? It is only giving a bad idea to teens, parents, and families. Increased drug use, negative health effects, and negative effects on families are all the outcomes of legalizing marijuana. So think about this, will it put a negative affect on your family? Will it increase drug use by people? Will it affect teens and their ability to learn? Will it make you depressed and a have higher risk of cancer? Yes it will.

Tristan said...
Jun. 20 at 4:16 pm
I have schizophrenia after smoking pot and severe anxiety. Pot is the worst drug I've tried.

Amber said...
May 15 at 11:28 pm
This is so wrong in every single way, surely the author is trolling or something....

AshleySDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 1 at 5:25 pm
It's actually not, and if you would study, you would know that.

Reddirtgirl22 said...
Apr. 12 at 7:49 pm
Alright. Here it is. YOU ARE WRONG!!! I really wish when I come across people like you, you would actually take the time to read up on some facts before you just blurt out your own opinion of marijuana. There have been PROVEN studies to pretty much disregard anything you have said in your post. I suggest YOU study the next time you talk about a topic

Jun. 1 at 5:27 pm
I agree. "YOU ARE WRONG!!!" You. Please understand that this person is not TOTALLY wrong. They do make a few errors, but they make some good points too.

celticstudygirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 2 at 7:02 pm
I actually learned about this substance in D.A.R.E when I was in 5th grade and we learned all about the dangers of it. I'm pretty sure that my police officer wouldn't lie about that stuff.

crosica23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 2 at 3:18 am
Wait, you're from Boulder. Are you trolling?

Jun. 1 at 5:30 pm
Are you high?

crosica23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 1 at 9:07 pm
How does it feel to know that all of the likes this story got are sarcasm

Jun. 1 at 9:10 pm
Never mind, just realized you didn't write this. Just a little surprised anyone would defend this piece

Jun. 2 at 10:11 am
I know that they made a lot of mistakes in this article, but I am just asking that you to respect the work that they put into it. How would it feel if you worked for days on a paper and everyone laughed at it? And how would you know what all the likes are?

Jun. 2 at 6:12 pm
You're right. That was too harsh

darcylevine said...
Mar. 8 at 9:25 pm
Marijuana can negatively affect a person’s attentiveness, perception of time and speed, and ability to draw on information obtained from past experiences. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, 18 percent of fatally injured drivers tested positive for at least one illicit, prescription, or over the counter drug, an increase of 13 percent from 2005. A study of over 3,000 fatally injured drivers showed that when marijuana was present in the blood of the driver, he or she was more lik... (more »)

Miss know it all said...
Feb. 24 at 11:31 am
Funny. Marijuana isn't an addictive substance. It isn't used to "alter" your mood. It's used to mellow the person out. I smoke on a daily basis, so do a lot of people I know.

Jun. 1 at 5:30 pm
If it's not addictive, then can you stop? And mellowing a person out is altering their mood.

Jun. 2 at 7:03 pm

xxSaintNikkixx13 said...
Jan. 8 at 6:42 am
Cannaboids in marijuana have been proven to reduce or even shrink the growth of cancer cells. The compound which does this is called CBD. The part that makes you "high" is THC. Pioneers in this industry are currently chemically engineering plants which can grow without producing THC. This means the invention of a cannabis plant which not only can have increased levels of CBD, but it won't make the user high. On a more personal note, I am a fairly heavy smoker. Marijuana has helped me in so many ... (more »)

Jun. 1 at 5:28 pm
You are right. Marijuana, if used properly, is not really dangerous.

Zoey24 said...
Dec. 15, 2014 at 8:07 am
i totally agree. marijuana causes issues. mostly issues in behavior. if a person smokes it their character can change instantly.. in some cases this behavior change is worst than others. people look for every reason to legalize it but let's be real here... it's a drug!! why give access to it so ceartin people can abuse it. if give legal access to it people that shouldnt have it, will get there hands on it even easier than they do now. You are not an idiot!! THIS WAS GREAT!

sean111 replied...
Jan. 13 at 1:38 pm
First off For most marijuana users the change in behavior is directed towards a more relaxed attitude. Next please do some research and learn why marijuana is currently a illegal drug in most states. It was not made illegal because of the supposed health risks of using it, it was done because while racism was still prominent whites believed that the blacks smoking were feeling too empowered and equal to the whites. It was first made illegal on a racist bias towards blacks who used it. By legaliz... (more »)