Against Legalizing Marijuana

They say marijuana is a helpful medicine. They say it makes you calm down and feel good. They also say that it isn’t as dangerous or harmful as alcohol and other drugs. Those are some reasons why they want to legalize marijuana. But are they right? No they are not. Marijuana should stay illegal in the United States because if it is legalized, more people will smoke it, causing negative effects on health and families.

If marijuana is legalized, people will think smoking marijuana is something we can do every day at anytime, which increases drug use. People are going to smoke marijuana without getting in trouble or getting arrested. Also there is going to be easier access to marijuana, and it will be cheaper to buy. These same things happened when alcohol was legalized. Also, drug dealers can grow marijuana without getting arrested, and make a bunch of money off of it. “Van Deventer, a news reporter, described how he and his friends used drugs casually for a while. He felt like he was growing closer to addiction. But buying illegal drugs wasn’t easy. Van Deventer and his friends feared being arrested. They worried about undercover cops posing as drug dealers, who often sold them fake drugs” (Legalizing Drugs, pg 67). According to this passage, Van Deventer stopped using drugs when it was illegal, because he didn’t want to get arrested. If drugs are legalized, he and his friends would use drugs casually again.

Increased drug use leads to negative health effects. For example people who are depressed use marijuana because they believe it will calm them down, and make them feel better. However, this isn’t true because marijuana worsens depression. Other negative health effects are respiratory illness, lung infections, and cancer of the lungs, mouth, throat, and esophagus. Marijuana users have a higher risk of cancer then cigarette smokers. Also, after a few minutes of smoking marijuana, your heart beats faster and your blood pressure drops. Because of lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that marijuana users have a four times higher chance of a heart attack within the first hour of smoking marijuana.

Legalizing marijuana would also lead to negative effects on families. Marijuana use at work and school lessens from 13.6% in 1988, to 3.8% in 2006, according to USA Today. Marijuana use basically got smaller after it was legalized. Also, younger teens will use it. Parents will use it and give bad example to younger kids and teens, and parents will use it and become high around their kids. Marijuana affects teens and their ability to concentrate in school, and drug-using parents will neglect or abuse their children. If marijuana stays illegal, these negative effects will lessen. “The more the barriers there are (cops or the hassle or the fear of dying from an overdose) the less likely you are to get addicted,” according to Van Deventer (Legalizing Drugs, pg 68). He’s trying to make the point that because marijuana is illegal, there are more consequences when smoking marijuana, than if it was legalized.

Why take the risk of legalizing marijuana? It is only giving a bad idea to teens, parents, and families. Increased drug use, negative health effects, and negative effects on families are all the outcomes of legalizing marijuana. So think about this, will it put a negative affect on your family? Will it increase drug use by people? Will it affect teens and their ability to learn? Will it make you depressed and a have higher risk of cancer? Yes it will.

JustAnIdea said...
Jun. 4 at 4:01 pm
Except here's the thing: When marijuana isn't legal, many people purchase it off of the black market, where the drugs are inherently more dangerous and can have other things added to them. Legalizing drugs can lead to new laws and regulations, which will allow more government control of the market. That can save lives and allow the drug, while harmful, to be safer to its users. Nobody would purchase marijuana illegally, and therefore only legitimate manufacturers with actual permits would really... (more »)

gremlinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 8 at 9:39 am
This is very true, also if all of our current drugs were eradicated people would only come up with more, just remember meth is made in bathtubs.

ambivalentThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 22 at 11:12 pm
smoking weed could always remain illegal, eliminating all the ill effects with your lungs, but vaping weed, and baking with it are also options that aren't nearly as harmful. also, citing where you found your information from is very important and helps legitimize your writing.

gremlinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28 at 9:39 am
some of your facts were bias and social media generated, however you have organized the article well, and although I am on the opposite side of the argument I liked the article

humanity_peaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 8 at 2:52 am
You are stating too much information without giving an explanation to support your argument. For example, you said that marijuana makes people with depression more depressed...how so?

Tootsweet said...
Feb. 15 at 3:30 pm
Love your story Bella,it sounds great! From Chumface xxx

Really? said...
Feb. 1 at 3:11 am
This paper was half factual and very bios, not everything in the essay was correct also!

Tristan said...
I have schizophrenia after smoking pot and severe anxiety. Pot is the worst drug I've tried.

Amber said...
This is so wrong in every single way, surely the author is trolling or something....

AshleySD replied...
It's actually not, and if you would study, you would know that.

Apr. 12 at 9:38 am
it looks like you both need to

Reddirtgirl22 said...
Alright. Here it is. YOU ARE WRONG!!! I really wish when I come across people like you, you would actually take the time to read up on some facts before you just blurt out your own opinion of marijuana. There have been PROVEN studies to pretty much disregard anything you have said in your post. I suggest YOU study the next time you talk about a topic

AshleySD replied...
I agree. "YOU ARE WRONG!!!" You. Please understand that this person is not TOTALLY wrong. They do make a few errors, but they make some good points too.

celticstudygirl replied...
I actually learned about this substance in D.A.R.E when I was in 5th grade and we learned all about the dangers of it. I'm pretty sure that my police officer wouldn't lie about that stuff.

Andrew replied...
Feb. 24 at 12:06 pm
They would actually. officers or teachers will say just about anything to stop children from doing things.

Apr. 5 at 10:04 am
very true, and the dare program is to keep little kids from doing such things and the only way to do this is to make it look evil. also a bunch, not all, but a bunch of police officers do such things as coke and even heroin. for example I was working at a party one time , because i set up the tents and bounce houses, I had watched three nys police officers do a line of coke, also many were shooting up with heroin in the bathrooms and leaving the needles in there. so I would think of the "what if... (more »)

crosica23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 2, 2015 at 3:18 am
Wait, you're from Boulder. Are you trolling?

AshleySD replied...
Are you high?

crosica23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
How does it feel to know that all of the likes this story got are sarcasm

Never mind, just realized you didn't write this. Just a little surprised anyone would defend this piece