Against Legalizing Marijuana | Teen Ink

Against Legalizing Marijuana

By Nura.is.Beast BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
Nura.is.Beast BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Don't Cry Because Its Over
Smile Because It Happened

Girls fall in love with what they hear
Boys fall in love with what they see
That's why girls wear make up
and boys lie

They say marijuana is a helpful medicine. They say it makes you calm down and feel good. They also say that it isn’t as dangerous or harmful as alcohol and other drugs. Those are some reasons why they want to legalize marijuana. But are they right? No they are not. Marijuana should stay illegal in the United States because if it is legalized, more people will smoke it, causing negative effects on health and families.

If marijuana is legalized, people will think smoking marijuana is something we can do every day at anytime, which increases drug use. People are going to smoke marijuana without getting in trouble or getting arrested. Also there is going to be easier access to marijuana, and it will be cheaper to buy. These same things happened when alcohol was legalized. Also, drug dealers can grow marijuana without getting arrested, and make a bunch of money off of it. “Van Deventer, a news reporter, described how he and his friends used drugs casually for a while. He felt like he was growing closer to addiction. But buying illegal drugs wasn’t easy. Van Deventer and his friends feared being arrested. They worried about undercover cops posing as drug dealers, who often sold them fake drugs” (Legalizing Drugs, pg 67). According to this passage, Van Deventer stopped using drugs when it was illegal, because he didn’t want to get arrested. If drugs are legalized, he and his friends would use drugs casually again.

Increased drug use leads to negative health effects. For example people who are depressed use marijuana because they believe it will calm them down, and make them feel better. However, this isn’t true because marijuana worsens depression. Other negative health effects are respiratory illness, lung infections, and cancer of the lungs, mouth, throat, and esophagus. Marijuana users have a higher risk of cancer then cigarette smokers. Also, after a few minutes of smoking marijuana, your heart beats faster and your blood pressure drops. Because of lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that marijuana users have a four times higher chance of a heart attack within the first hour of smoking marijuana.

Legalizing marijuana would also lead to negative effects on families. Marijuana use at work and school lessens from 13.6% in 1988, to 3.8% in 2006, according to USA Today. Marijuana use basically got smaller after it was legalized. Also, younger teens will use it. Parents will use it and give bad example to younger kids and teens, and parents will use it and become high around their kids. Marijuana affects teens and their ability to concentrate in school, and drug-using parents will neglect or abuse their children. If marijuana stays illegal, these negative effects will lessen. “The more the barriers there are (cops or the hassle or the fear of dying from an overdose) the less likely you are to get addicted,” according to Van Deventer (Legalizing Drugs, pg 68). He’s trying to make the point that because marijuana is illegal, there are more consequences when smoking marijuana, than if it was legalized.

Why take the risk of legalizing marijuana? It is only giving a bad idea to teens, parents, and families. Increased drug use, negative health effects, and negative effects on families are all the outcomes of legalizing marijuana. So think about this, will it put a negative affect on your family? Will it increase drug use by people? Will it affect teens and their ability to learn? Will it make you depressed and a have higher risk of cancer? Yes it will.

Whatr inspired me to do this article, is because i think marijuana is somthing that should stay illegal. It has made a negative impact on people's lives and i want people to know that marijuana isn't just somthing fun to do, but somthing dangerous and a life risk.

on Jan. 8 2015 at 6:42 am
NikkiRobzz13 BRONZE, Naperville, Illinois
Cannaboids in marijuana have been proven to reduce or even shrink the growth of cancer cells. The compound which does this is called CBD. The part that makes you "high" is THC. Pioneers in this industry are currently chemically engineering plants which can grow without producing THC. This means the invention of a cannabis plant which not only can have increased levels of CBD, but it won't make the user high. On a more personal note, I am a fairly heavy smoker. Marijuana has helped me in so many ways. It does not make me lazy or fat, contrary to popular belief. My grades have improved, as had my drive to do things that I couldn't do before. I get spectacular grades; hell, I even took my ACT right after smoking, without a calculator and easily scored a 31. Cannabis is not the issue here. Misinformed people, brainwashed with skewed facts is the issue we truly need to address.

Zoey24 SILVER said...
on Dec. 15 2014 at 8:07 am
Zoey24 SILVER, Williamsport,, Pennsylvania

If we judge each other we won't ever have time to love each other!

i totally agree. marijuana causes issues. mostly issues in behavior. if a person smokes it their character can change instantly.. in some cases this behavior change is worst than others. people look for every reason to legalize it but let's be real here... it's a drug!! why give access to it so ceartin people can abuse it. if give legal access to it people that shouldnt have it, will get there hands on it even easier than they do now. You are not an idiot!! THIS WAS GREAT!

u is right it is bad bc some people really are so addicted to them and drugs is what makes people die  

OK. Marijuana does none of the stuff you said. It actually helps suppress cancer cell growth. This van deventer guys story is about being scared of being arrested, that has nothing to do with the effects of marijuana specificaly. Last, but definetely not least, drug dealers make more money with it illegal. You need to get out there, and do some real research - not from web pages that are "official" because they are paid to say stuff like that - but from people who smoked it before and real scientists' websites. (You just have to know where to look)  

claire22798 BRONZE, Fargo, North Dakota
This will be long and rather ranting. I''m sorry, but you are an idiot. I've been smoking regularly for the past couple of months, and it has improved my depression more than pills have. I can go as long as I like without smoking and I have no problems. My grades have improved and my relationship with my parents has never been better. I'm the happiest I've ever been.  Now on to the finacial state. Would you care to tell me why it's bad for dealers to make money? If it were to be legalized, it would be sold in stores where it can be taxed. The tax on marijuana would get us out of debt so quickly, as well as the tax spent on food. Do you know how much money we spend in taxes on prisoners doing life for marijuana possession? It's ridiculous. It can cure many diseases, like cancer. It is bad on the lungs, but only if smoked. If it is taken orally or put in a vaporizer, it isn't harmful to your lungs.

claire22798 BRONZE, Fargo, North Dakota
Can we be friends?

matt123 said...
this is probably the best laugh i've had in a while, you obviously haven't done any research AT ALL on marijuana. It is no where near as bad as a cigerette for you. You will never get cancer or any life threatining disease ever from marijuana. This is just so immaturly and ignorantly written read a book, go to school, or something this is just pathetic that you would take the time to write this and not even look up few facts about marijuana

Kmoods said...
I used to be on the same page. Till I decided to quit  being close minded and broaden my education in the medical field. This is false information. Medical marijuana has benefits beyond what you ignorant mind can comprehend.

1st Marijuana smoke is more harmful than cigarette smoke to the lungs? Please hold your laughter. All 599 additives in cigarettes aside, some people still believe this myth. Although there are a number of carcinogens present in marijuana smoke, your typical bud smoker isn't running through the equivalent smoke volume of a pack a day. Also, there have been no reported cases of lung cancer based solely on marijuana smoke. In 2006, the American Thoracic Society was presented with a study that demonstrated even heavy cannabis smokers showed no increased risk of lung cancer. Marijuana does not obstruct the lung's small airway, which is what leads to diseases like emphysema and bronchitis. 2nd I can tell you from experience that I have never once while smoking marijuana became more depressed. Or depressed at all. Marijuana is a mood elevator Not an anti-depressant it makes you feel better for a short time but will not resolve your problems. Just because you feel sad or melancholy doesn't mean your clinically depressed. They are two totally different things. You need to get your facts right and stop thinking marijuana is bad because people tell you it is. 3rd You can't have low blood pressure if your heart rate speeds up you ignorant hypocrite. Stop this I hate weed persona because you don't know anything about it. Lastly Weed has never in it's entire existence killed anyone. Not from cancer or disease. And where in the constitution does the government have the right to control what kind of seeds we plant? Because I cant find it. So please stop your ignorant post that have absolutely no merit whatsoever.