Leadership

Throughout history there have been two types of people, the victors and the defeated. On war-scarred battlefields, in the many years of conflict, there have always been two generals that commanded thousands. One would be victorious. One would be dead. It would simply be by the keen stroke of leadership a general could win a battle as well as a war. Surly, I would not want to be the dead leader, but the question is am I or could I be the victorious one.

Strengths are something I do not have many of, the few I do have I believe will be highly effective in the future as well as the present. The one true strength that I have and pray will never leave me is my work ethic. I am an extremely hard working individual. I am involved in many activities like Academic Decathlon, FBLA, FCA, National Honor Society, cross-country, track, volunteer work, etc. With this heavy load of activities I have to try to manage getting an A in some of my rigorous classes. Sure, I could just quit and give up, but I would just end up like the general who lost. This may even be the only leadership quality I may possess at this time, but the only ones who would really know would be those whom you are leading.

I do know where some of my faults surly are in my leadership style. One would clearly be my lack of skill, most prevalent in cross-country and track. Since I am not that great of a runner I am unable to lead by example. I also am not very loud and outspoken. A key way I could simply improve this is just by talking more, and even not taking my studies so seriously.

It is my desire to attend the United States Military Academy, a place where leaders are made. I must develop and fix my leadership style now if I want to be in command of soldiers. As Vince Lombardi best put it, “leaders aren’t born, they are made.”

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 10:40 am
"One would be victorious.  One would be dead." This is now one of my favorite quotes!  This is a really weird request, but do you mind if I made that a quote in my book Duty?  It sounds like the type of thing two of my main characters would like, maybe as a quote one of them likes or in a book.... Idk, like I said it's a weird request, but I just think the way you said it sounds cool. :P

Gettysburg63 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
The quote's all yours. Good luck on your book!

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks! I'll make it from one of Dudley's fave books or something and incorporate your username somehow. :)  And thanks for the good luck - I'm really hoping this story turns out well.  It's one of my war/duty ones. :)  Not historical fiction though - terrorists and unconventional warfare. :)