The People of the United States | Teen Ink

The People of the United States

November 14, 2018
By GuitarHero2 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
GuitarHero2 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 10 photos 0 comments

Thousands of people flock to President’s Park outside the White House. Each road is a river flowing into the lake packed with people. The voices create a sound resembling thunder. Police horses patrol the outskirts of the park while Police with riot shields stand at the front.

The opposition stands behind the police officers, shielded by metal fences. They wave flags I do not recognize and hold up signs I can not see. The protestors jeer at them but do not fight.

Without seeing them, you would assume this is a riot. But it’s not. They are peacefully protesting each other’s ideas, forming a better understanding of how the other group feels.

Americans have be able to protest for many years. In 1787, the United States Constitution was written and signed at the Constitutional Convention. Our basic rights were laid out like a mom laying out her child’s clothes. The government is the mother whose main goal is to protect us. It is one reason immigrants move halfway across the world to come to America. Starting with the Revolutionary War, Americans fought for these rights. They continue to protect us from terrorist groups and other countries who want to revoke these rights.

Walking through Washington D.C. is not the only place people speak out. Driving down roads in Wisconsin I see signs reading, “Legalize Cannabis!” or, “Scott Walker, fix our roads!” People stand on street corners holding up signs that say “Vote Yes!”

Americans have the right to say what they want about the government with no consequences. Everyone, no matter their race, gender, or beliefs can speak out against things they do not like.

When I think of freedom of speech, I see people protesting the government—chanting calls for action and holding up signs that proclaim their emotions. People walking out of schools to protest gun violence being used against young children. People voting for who they think will best represent their ideas in our government. People marching through the streets to fight for their rights as American citizen. People flowing into President’s Park, peacefully speaking their minds.