Blurred Lines | Teen Ink

Blurred Lines

By Allybear_99 BRONZE, Edinburgh, Other
Allybear_99 BRONZE, Edinburgh, Other

The future is contantly changing, in the largest of ways, by the smallest of things .

Blurred lines. They confuse you. They upset you. They lead you astray. They are nothing but pure evil. One might think I am writing about a demon rather than a line of confusion, but a blurred line might as well be a demon. It does nothing but hurt you. It is the line between right and wrong, severed. It is the line that no one should cross but everyone has the urge to.

An example of a blurred line is within religion, my example being mormonism as it is the one I am most familiar with. Mormons believe in free will and freedom of choice, but there is a thin line between what seems to be free will or pursuation. It may be true that all the rules are followed by choice, after all, no one is holding a gun to your head. However, is it free will or coercion? Everyone knows if you break the rules there will be great consequences. You may be 'condemmed' to hell. Your family and friends may see you in another light and despise you rather than love you. People around you may see you as a failure or a worse person for abandoning your religion. If people follow the rules for the consequence sake rather than the belief in the religion, is it free will or coercion? This is an example of a blurred line.

Another example of a blurred line is when you speak to a guy everyday, calling, facetiming, texting constantly, and you start to feel like you are a couple becuase of how both of you feel. You are both drawn to one another. You both feel guilty if something were to happen with anyone but them. But the guy wants to be single so he can know how it is to be single again. Which I can respect, but what is happening, how we feel-- that is not being single. Yet, officially you both are single individuals. Where is the line? When is it too far? What is okay and not okay in this kind of a relationship? Should you let the relationship continue in this fashion? You want to, becuase of how you feel but you also know it is killing you being so unsure of what is appropriate to expect, ask for and act like. How are you supposed to know what line not to cross if you cannot even imagine the line?

Blurred lines drive you insane. As humans we need a sense of security, knowing what is right, what is wrong. We need to know where the line is and which lines we musent cross. We want to know we are being reasonable and rational. But blurred lines defy all these things. There is no clear right or wrong. There is no siginificantly outlined line we must not cross. We cannot tell if our feelings or actions are reansoble and rational becuase in the situation we don't even have a notion of what is reasonable or rational.

Blurred lines will make you go out of your mind.

Avoid them.

I hate these blurred lines