The Straw That Broke the Camel's Back | Teen Ink

The Straw That Broke the Camel's Back

By AngelOfThursday SILVER, Palmetto, Florida
AngelOfThursday SILVER, Palmetto, Florida

"After all this time?" "Always" ~Severus Snape: Harry potter and the deathly Hallows.

In this day in age you would think we would have overcome our habit of creating unjust prejudice. In a time where the majority of us are past racism and see women as equal to their male counterparts. Yet we have found yet another subset of people has fallen pray to this vicious cycle of hatred and dehumanization. Those who like the same sex, or otherwise fall under the LGBTQIA (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex, and asexual) category are often discriminated against and denied basic human rights.

As an ally to the LGBTQIA community I openly support all individuals who identify as such. To me the sexual orientation of others is no one else’s business. The same goes for a persons gender identity. It absolutely sickens me to know that these things are seen as “unnatural”, and lately I’ve realized that growing up I had a very warped view of society. But today as I was viewing available babysitting jobs I came across what at first seemed like a normal entry but like a slap in the face the words “Please be LGBT friendly” registered in my brain followed by an explanation that the parents were a same sex couple, and it shocked me. Why should this couple have to worry about something as simple as who they love? It was this moment that things became clear to me. I’ve always taken things at face value, and seen the best in people. I always assumed that everyone was equal because in my eyes they were. But the reality is they aren’t because society continues to reject change and embraces the isolation of groups seen as socially unacceptable just because they do not fit the norm. In the news stories of teen and adolescent suicide are becoming more and more frequent. Even more alarming is that the catalyst for many of these tragedies is bullying or harassment for being a part of the LGBTQIA community.

As a whole we need to come to a realization. Discrimination against the LGBTQIA community will get us nowhere as a culture. Denying things like the legalization of same sex marriage is not “protecting the sanctity of marriage.” or any other cover story for the support of such a thing. What these decisions are truly doing is dehumanizing the LGBTQIA community. This is not rant, this is not a demand. This is a call for justice. I can only hope that it is heard, and that social equality is in the near future.

This is my view on the social isolation and discrimination against the LGBTQIA community.