Emo Epidemic | Teen Ink

Emo Epidemic

By WriterWithWings DIAMOND, Seneca, South Carolina
WriterWithWings DIAMOND, Seneca, South Carolina

“Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you're alive, it isn't.”
"Love is a drug. a drug that distorts reality, and thats the point of it. No body would fall in love with someone who they really saw."
"Words and hea

Looking around the lunchroom you see the usual school cliques. Preppy cheerleaders and full-of-themselves jocks, Ivy League Asian math nerds, freaky fantasy outcasts…and the “Emos”. All of these are stereotypes. Just stupid stereotypes of the modern day. Not all cheerleaders are preppy and not all Asians are good at math. But the most misunderstood clique of the lunchroom is the Emos.
Most people think of Emo as people who cut themselves and have odd haircuts. And, sometimes, that description may be true. But not at all times. Sometimes it may be that’s just the style they like or maybe it’s just they aren’t as social as everyone else. I bet you people who are always saying, “Ha, I bet those Emos are busy cutting themselves in the corner,” have never once thought about that. Not once. You’re much too busy contradicting someone else’s life style while pretending yours is just a walk through the daisies. That, is something no one has a right to do. Even if these people you are talking about do cut themselves, no one has the right to comment and contradict them. They may be stuck in a rut and having a hard time. These “Emos” may not have the blessings in life that you do and they see the only release is self-injury. You may view it as stupid and wrong but they may not be able to build up the confidence to ask for help or reach out. Or it may be that this is just the only life they’re used to. They won’t mock your well-off, paid for life; so it’s best for you to keep your own comments to yourself.
Depression is a serious medical issue, just like cancer. Would you and your friends laugh at someone who has cancer? No. So why do you laugh at those suffering from depression who feel no one could ever possibly understand? Because you find it funny and if you stick up for these “Emos” you may be made into an outcast? Stick up for the underdogs and don’t all unruly mocking to go on.
“Emo” isn’t even a term referring to people. It refers to a genre of particular music that is high-pitched, melancholy and confessional. The modern age has turned the term to submit to those whom are more of the loners and those whom seem different.
Point is, mocking those whom act different and may have a problem, which may even be medically diagnosed, is wrong and unmoral in every way. They may be different than you but you are different than them and they keep their comments to themselves. Can you at least have enough self-control and respect for others to not judge and jump to conclusions? “Emo” is an offending term in the way everyone uses it these days, and has been used in the largest most offending way imaginable. School’s should not allow the use of this term and terms like this on their grounds any further and parents should frown upon the term used at home.
“Emo” is becoming an epidemic term and needs to come to a cease in respect of those who the term is targeted on. Stand up for the ones who are different, even if your friends won’t.

im emo and yeah we do get judged and we are misunderstood a lot  so for the people who stick up for  us are the best people ever so i want to thank all of you for doing that.

"Words and hea

I did not mean this to be offensive in any way. I used to cut due to an undiagnosed case of depression and just got tired of people joking about "emo" stuff.

yousucck said...
on Sep. 9 2010 at 11:03 am
i get it but som ppl (me) are depresd and take this as offensive cuz i have cut mself due to depression

"Words and hea

No, I am saying not all people are 'emo' just from their appearance. That no one has the right to judge them just based on their outer looks. I am also saying, if they truly are depressed (which any social class could be) then you have no reason to criticize.

yousuck said...
on Sep. 1 2010 at 11:07 am
You r sayng not to judge the so clled emo's but  u just sat here and wrote that all emo's are depressed

on Jul. 4 2010 at 7:16 am

"Words and hea

Exactly. The people of this age have changed so many terms and turned them into criticism.

on Jul. 4 2010 at 7:15 am

"Words and hea

Im glad people are understanding by what I meant for this article! Thanks :)

hottemper97 said...
hottemper97, Victoria, Texas

I agree with u

i mean i know alot of "emo people" and they do not cut themselves like people say they do

its just like the word gay

if u look up thae word gay in the dictionary it means happy but people changed the rules

BekahBetray BRONZE, Bear, Delaware
1 article 4 photos 1 comment

I'm tattered and torn; down and worn; but i don't think i can be broken.♡

i completely agree with thissss ;  this was very good . your an amazing writer .