Letters From Our Future Selves This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Dear Associate Dean,

I don’t believe I deserve this detention. I don’t do drugs or skip class. Just because I eat lunch with the “bad eggs” does not mean that I am one. If you stereotype me then I begin to stereotype myself. Before long, I will deserve detention.

Sincerely,
Future Fast-Food Employee

Dear Police Officer,

Please give me a ticket for speeding. I was going 12 over the limit in a school zone. Just because I’m a pretty girl doesn’t mean I am above the law. I have received six warnings already, and I’m starting to believe I can do no wrong. It is good for me to get in trouble. You aren’t doing me any favors by letting me off. Soon I will believe I am invincible.

Thanks,
Future Drunk Driver

Dear Gym Teacher,

Please don’t just stand around while I am always picked last. I know you see me. Pick our teams or require the ball to be passed to three people before a point can be scored, or make us run in circles so nobody knows I’m the slowest. Just do something! I am starting to hate exercise. If you think I’m bad at athletics, I will start to believe it too. The time I spend exercising is dwindling fast. Help me.

Sending my regards,
Future Gastric Bypass Patient

Dear Parent,

Please stop praising me for being a jock. I know I can throw a mean football and I bring home the hottest cheerleaders, but I am so much more. I need you to acknowledge my creative writing assignment. I need you to accept my friends who are less attractive. For once I need you to ground me for getting a D in art and not just tell me, “It’s okay – art ­doesn’t matter.” If you don’t treat me like more, I won’t believe I can do more.

Sincerely,
Meathead Who Can’t Write a Letter

Dear Teacher,

Please pick groups for us. I know everyone smiles when you say, “Get in groups of three,” but it’s really hurting us. I have been in the same group for eight years. If this continues I will never make new friends or step out of my comfort zone. You are responsible for us while we are in class. You expect me to act like an adult, but I am obviously not one yet. Soon, I won’t be able to do anything new, because you didn’t teach me how.

From,
Guy Who Never Moved Out of His Parents’ House

Dear Smart Kid,

Please be my partner in class. I know you think I am just using you for answers, but I think maybe I can help you too. I know it’s not your fault you don’t like me. Come on, let’s be friends. What do you have to lose?

Sincerely,
Stupid Kid Who Will Never Be More

Dear Future Child,

I promise I’ll be good to you. The change starts with me, and that’s exactly what I plan to do. I will do my best to raise you to have compassion and empathy for all. You will have the freedom to be who you are and not who I tell you to be. You will see others as more than just an associate dean, ­police officer, gym teacher, parent, teacher, or smart kid. Instead, you will know their names. That change starts with me.

Sincerely,
Teen From the Clique Generation

SonjaRenaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
To say this is beyond brilliant is an understatement! I went from the last word to "5 stars" and "add to favorites" in like half a second. This is so, so mature, and I love it! Definitely one of my favorite pieces of all time!

Inkslinger said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 9:23 am
Beautiful.

niks said...
Oct. 12, 2011 at 6:42 am
that was wonderful...

Posiedensheartbreak said...
That was amazing!!! And completly spot on about how our society acts keep writing

poohbearswife said...
Ummm.....speechless. that was so powerful!

Zaria said...
This is extremely powerful. It showsw how everyone else effects us whithout even realizing it. I almost started to cry because of these peoples futures because adults didn't treat them the way they NEEDED to be treated. thankyou for revealing this truth to me so i won't make the mistakes to cause this to happen

writingrox2 said...
woah. this is amazing.

nutmeg212 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 9:19 am

Great.  Well wriiten and a well tjought out concept.  Nice job.

7julieh said...
This is so powerful. I think each individual has a right to be heard, and I think you are giving a voice to so many who are afraid to speak up. Thank You

lovelovelove said...
Jan. 17, 2011 at 10:40 am
Wow... this is a gorgeous peice of writing, thanks for sharing!

moonglowdavidson said...
This is really creative and great. I loved how you really connected with each "character". Super job.

i-DONT-know-ANYMORE said...
Wow this is really sad, but true...people don't relize that they'd regret things like this and that's what makes this... 

county_girl2013 said...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 9:42 am
this article is very sad to me because these kids are poring there hearts out to someone and they want to be treated fairly and respected and get the same treatment as everyone else and they want the same opportunities as the next person in line, these kids are telling that person that they want that person to help them in there situation and do the right thing. it was very touching to me because of how these kids are being treated and they want to be like normal kids but cant because no one wil... (more »)

MLH305 said...
Oct. 28, 2010 at 11:02 am
I can completely relate to this article. It makes me think of the future, and how my life will turn out if I don't make the right choices. I always hear "you will go far in life by learning from your past experiences." If I get a detention when I don't deserve one, don't get a ticket because of my looks, or get praised for a title that I have, I will never learn to prepare myself for the life ahead of me. Reading this was an experience of it's own. 

KLR113 said...
Oct. 26, 2010 at 9:06 am
This is so amazing. The different letters appeal to all kids' injustices. There comes a point in a person's life when the grown ups refuse to believe that they need to help you or that you are in need of nurturing. I positively adore the last letter and your promise to do better. That is what the world needs, a promise for all to do better for the next generation not yourself.

A.Masena said...
WOW that was really good! I love that it's written as letters, it makes it so original!

loser10 said...
wow1 i as well almost cried while reading this. its the best thing ive ever seen on this site...EVER!

ImJustMe94 said...
Aug. 20, 2010 at 7:55 am
wow! really good work! keep it up! :D

The_Blackest_RoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I almost started crying. . . .And trust me, with me, that's REALLY hard to do.....

Hippiechick10 said...
Only one word came to my mind- A-M-A-Z-I-N-G