Letters From Our Future Selves | Teen Ink

Letters From Our Future Selves MAG

Dear Associate Dean,

I don’t believe I deserve this detention. I don’t do drugs or skip class. Just because I eat lunch with the “bad eggs” does not mean that I am one. If you stereotype me then I begin to stereotype myself. Before long, I will deserve detention.

Sincerely,
Future Fast-Food Employee

Dear Police Officer,

Please give me a ticket for speeding. I was going 12 over the limit in a school zone. Just because I’m a pretty girl doesn’t mean I am above the law. I have received six warnings already, and I’m starting to believe I can do no wrong. It is good for me to get in trouble. You aren’t doing me any favors by letting me off. Soon I will believe I am invincible.

Thanks,
Future Drunk Driver

Dear Gym Teacher,

Please don’t just stand around while I am always picked last. I know you see me. Pick our teams or require the ball to be passed to three people before a point can be scored, or make us run in circles so nobody knows I’m the slowest. Just do something! I am starting to hate exercise. If you think I’m bad at athletics, I will start to believe it too. The time I spend exercising is dwindling fast. Help me.

Sending my regards,
Future Gastric Bypass Patient

Dear Parent,

Please stop praising me for being a jock. I know I can throw a mean football and I bring home the hottest cheerleaders, but I am so much more. I need you to acknowledge my creative writing assignment. I need you to accept my friends who are less attractive. For once I need you to ground me for getting a D in art and not just tell me, “It’s okay – art ­doesn’t matter.” If you don’t treat me like more, I won’t believe I can do more.

Sincerely,
Meathead Who Can’t Write a Letter

Dear Teacher,

Please pick groups for us. I know everyone smiles when you say, “Get in groups of three,” but it’s really hurting us. I have been in the same group for eight years. If this continues I will never make new friends or step out of my comfort zone. You are responsible for us while we are in class. You expect me to act like an adult, but I am obviously not one yet. Soon, I won’t be able to do anything new, because you didn’t teach me how.

From,
Guy Who Never Moved Out of His Parents’ House

Dear Smart Kid,

Please be my partner in class. I know you think I am just using you for answers, but I think maybe I can help you too. I know it’s not your fault you don’t like me. Come on, let’s be friends. What do you have to lose?

Sincerely,
Stupid Kid Who Will Never Be More

Dear Future Child,

I promise I’ll be good to you. The change starts with me, and that’s exactly what I plan to do. I will do my best to raise you to have compassion and empathy for all. You will have the freedom to be who you are and not who I tell you to be. You will see others as more than just an associate dean, ­police officer, gym teacher, parent, teacher, or smart kid. Instead, you will know their names. That change starts with me.

Sincerely,
Teen From the Clique Generation

Deliah GOLD said...
on Apr. 8 2009 at 11:20 pm
Deliah GOLD, Narnia, Other
i'd love to see a movie made out of this:)

on Mar. 21 2009 at 11:35 pm
VandaNoon PLATINUM, West Pittston, Pennsylvania

what i can remember
is a lot like water
trickling down a page
of the most beautiful colors
-Marie Digby 'Unfold'

This piece was really creative and incredibly written. I loved all of the letters, but the last one struck me as being particullarly poignant. Very unique. Two thumbs up.

mstampfler said...
on Mar. 13 2009 at 5:55 pm
This is really creative. I enjoyed it a lot, it made me think.

SEMatt BRONZE said...
on Mar. 1 2009 at 12:26 am
SEMatt BRONZE, Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
this is amazing! There should be more of these.