My Friend | Teen Ink

My Friend MAG

By Anonymous

   What would you do if your best friend told you that she was bisexual? Would you shrivel up and ask yourself how you ever became friends with him, or would you comfort her and tell him that you will be there if she needs someone to talk to?

About a month ago, as I was having lunch with a friend, she asked me what I thought about bisexuality. I told her that although I did not agree with the act, I would not hold it against the person. She was relieved by my answer and therefore told me that she had been a bisexual for about three years.

It shocked me at first, but then I remember that I am not one to hold sexual preferences against a person. I began to notice more and more that my friend was more active in her sexuality which made me a little uncomfortable. I talked to her one night, telling her that, although I did not condemn her, I would appreciate it if she kept her activities to herself. She said she was sorry and that calmed my fears.

Fears of what? Fears of being labeled as a bisexual also.

Unfortunately not every bisexual or gay person is comfortable telling their best friend or even telling someone as close as their parents. It is very hard for them to talk about something like that and you should feel honored if a friend tells you that she is bisexual or gay, because that means that you are known to be a trustworthy person.

You also have to keep in mind that bisexuals and gays are people too and you need to have a state of mind to go out there and help them if they are crying out for help. n