Make A Difference | Teen Ink

Make A Difference

July 25, 2009
By Anonymous

I never really knew what it would be like protesting against something I believed in so bad. Every time I saw more videos and things happening I got more angry. I always wished I was rich so I could travel to help or donate money to the organizations.
The first time I ever really cared about saving the animals, though, was when I saw the picture of the dead dolphins, caught in a net. It brought tears to my eyes. Tears of sadness. Tears of misery. But mostly, tears of anger.
I tried so hard to fight those feelings. I mean, what could I do right? Wrong.
The day came when my adoptive parents told me that my real parents had died. Everything inside me seemed to collapse and it hurt so bad to know that now I would never meet them. That’s when they said, “They gave you everything.”
“What?” I asked, confused.
“Their house,” Dad said.
“Everything in it,” Mom continued.
“And the money,” Dad said.

I was speechless. I asked how much and they told me. That was the first time in my life that I felt truly happy. I knew what I wanted to do with it. I was old enough to handle my own money so the first thing I did was run to the computer.

I searched all over for any sites that would help animals that might become extinct. The polar bears, whales, dolphins. All of them and I wrote down the addresses to send the money to.

Everyday I sent a little more, but it was anonymous. I didn’t put a return address. I knew where it was going.

One day I got a letter in the mail from an organization. They were thanking me for all the donations. I mean, they knew I sent the first letter, but how did they know about all the others. At the bottom of the letter, it read P.S. Your handwriting is the same on every envelope.

I couldn’t help it, I started laughing. Of course. What stood out the most though was that in the middle of the letter it read that I was making a huge difference and people wrote comments about how this anonymous person was motivating them to help the cause.

A piece of paper fell from behind the letter. I picked it up and looked at it carefully. It was a ticket! They were inviting me to come down and help them.


Weeks later I was within reach of the animals, literally. The crew and I were helping dolphins and whales out of nets. We protected them and tried hard to keep fishers away. I sent money to another organization to help the polar bears not much later. I was already helping the sea animals. I had a lot of money.

I was so happy with what I was doing that it felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I knew this was what I wanted to do with my life. This world needs saving. And just one person could make a difference.

The author's comments:
This world needs saving and people like this to help the world.