Review of How to Date: A Helpful Guide for the Horribly Confused | Teen Ink

Review of How to Date: A Helpful Guide for the Horribly Confused

February 11, 2018
By Emmap2550 GOLD, New York City, New York
Emmap2550 GOLD, New York City, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

         When I first flipped to page 11 in my TeenInk magazine and I saw the bolder headline, “How to Date,” the first thing I thought of was “Wow, someone finally decided to help the world their terrible or lack-there-of dating skills.” I eagerly began reading, hopeful to pick on a few tips. However, as I progressed, I found myself laughing hysterically at the puns and unsubtle, sarcastic tone of the author. The author, Lindsey Wiseman, did an incredible job of incorporating humor while still sounding professional by using an example of a statistics and a step by-step format in her writing.

         Lindsey also brilliantly used irony in her writing, telling the reader to do the opposite of the expected. “Candles? Ew, more like fire hazard! Cute signs or prom-posalesque invitations? Vomit! Flowers? Sounds like hay fever to me!” This element was key in maintaining a light-hearted mood in the piece which easily drew in readers. Despite the author saying that there’s no need to thank her, I definitely appreciate her hilarious guide which I hope I’ll remember the next time I try to flirt!