Feedback for "Autism is Not a Tragedy" | Teen Ink

Feedback for "Autism is Not a Tragedy"

By malla BRONZE, Tyngsburo, Ma , Massachusetts
malla BRONZE, Tyngsburo, Ma , Massachusetts

The story that stood out the most to me was “Autism is Not a Tragedy” by Amita Reke that she does not think of it as a bad thing that her brother has autism. Throughout the whole story Amita is positive about it, and I think it is because it is her brother and she will always love him. Amita was never ashamed of him because she knows it is not his fault.

Amita also said “If,some how, in the future, someone found a “cure” for autism, would he use it? The answer is no. Curing my brothers autism would be like taking away what makes him unique, and our world needs many different kinds of minds.” This made me happy because it is true. The world world needs difference, it would be boring if everything was the same. Also, Amita thinks that autism makes him unique and that is also true.

This connects with my life because I have a cousin with down syndrome. It is not her fault and she is very unique. She is different in many good ways. If there was a cure I would hope she does not use it because that is what makes her different. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out.” Thank you so much Amita for sharing this it made my week and it shows how I feel about my cousin.