A Desperate Guy's Guide to Promposal | Teen Ink

A Desperate Guy's Guide to Promposal

February 3, 2016
By dauntlessannie GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
dauntlessannie GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Last month, Teen Ink published “A Desperate Guy’s Guide to Promposal” by Joe Rodri. Placed underneath “love,” the short story told the journey of a boy at his first prom. The story, told through Joe’s point of view, portrays the actions and thoughts of a teenage boy attempting to ask a girl to prom. He points out the things he finds unnecessary in asking someone to prom. He believes that the whole idea of a promposal is ridiculous and that people shouldn’t have to go to such lengths for a date.
Everyone constantly believes that each promposal must be perfect. Most girls hope for some kind of fairytale, where her boyfriend or a secret admirer will surprise them in a large and outrageous way. Most hope for some happily ever after, but the author doesn’t believe in this rubbish. He thought that “if… people just asked one another like normal human beings, no one would miss it.” This line shows that the author thinks that simplicity is key. In the end, Joe did not end up going to prom with the girl that he liked but he did learn that even the most splendid plans will crumble at a moment’s notice.