Feedback on Return to Sender | Teen Ink

Feedback on Return to Sender

By Joisamazing SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Joisamazing SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Return to Sender" by Tennessee Hill

This fictional piece is about a teenage girl who finds a mixtape in a boy's car. She soon realizes it's from his girlfriend, and sneaks it into her bag for a chance to listen to it. When she does, she's struck my emotions that lead her to realizing that she wasn't the one who loved him, but this girl. His girlfriend had "picked songs like stars out of the sky and painted a picture of her naked heart" and chosen to give it to him of all people. The narrator knows he isn't deserving of her, so she returns the cassette tape to the girl when she sees her. 

This story is one to my liking. Hill expertly finds a balance between the narrator's hatred and the unfolding of events. The narrator's words are bitter ones, but do not turn out to be a rant. "I listened to 73 minutes of music...until there was nothing left in me to lose. And here I was this whole time thinking I was the one who loved you...She's an angel, you're a bastard, and I'm an idiot." Unlike this writing, most stories dealing with anger end up as rants without the author realizing it. This isn't one of them.