The Power of the Teenage Girl | Teen Ink

The Power of the Teenage Girl

October 7, 2015
By dauntlessannie GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
dauntlessannie GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The girl who liked to read: weirdo. The girl who didn’t do anything but listen to music: depressed. Society is teaching how to stereotype and how to be perfect. Society is saying that men can do anything and women belong in the kitchen. Society is saying that women are powerless. Dana Kaufhold is saying that society is wrong.
Dana wrote a beautiful article on the fact that teenage girls are not what society deems them to be. She states that we are close friends that would do anything for each other. Dana says, “We will offer each other sips of anything we’re drinking, no questions asked. We share our food and our clothes. We give compliments like they cost nothing, because they do…” She also tells us that girls are the ones being bullied, stereotyped, and labelled. She states that most believe that girls obsess over One Direction, constantly take selfies, and dress in crop tops and revealing shorts. But the thing is: we don’t.
Dana has motivated and empowered me. She mentions how most girls help each other out when everyone else is trying to bring us down. After reading her article, it made me think: how many girls have helped me out? How many people have picked me up when I was feeling down? How does everyone else treat me and how do my girl friends treat me? I pondered on the fact that I have been labeled countless times but the label that society puts on us is powerless. However, Dana has made me want to challenge society, to stand up to everyone, and to dare.