Feedback on "Alfie and the Little Blue Train" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Alfie and the Little Blue Train"

By noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Schizophrenia is a serious disorder that has no known cure. A lot of people don't know much about this disease but "Alfie and the Little Blue Train" by Janie Felton gives readers a clear and vivid portrayal of it. This fictional piece shows how Alfie, a six-year old schizophrenic, sees things from his point of view and therefore helps readers to better understand what it's like to be schizophrenic. Alfie sees things that are not really there and he always insists that there is a boy named Colin who tries to hurt him. Alfie punches himself but he thinks that Colin is doing it even though Colin doesn't really exist. His mom and dad take him to the doctor and he is diagnosed with schizophrenia and prescribed medication. The medication helps but it does not cure him. In the end, Alfie's father cannot take any more and ends up leaving Alfie and his mother. The story is emotional and heartbreaking but it also engages readers and does a very good job putting readers in Alfie's shoes.
        This piece had a strong effect on me emotionally. My mom's uncle has schizophrenia but I never really understood what it was until I read this piece. In the beginning of the story it does not mention schizophrenia so I was sucked in and wanted to know more about Alfie. The detailed description really allowed me to feel what Alfie was going through which made the story more intriguing. Once I learned that it was a problem that Alfie could not control and was born with I felt bad for him. The ending of the story is tragic but perfect. Alfie's dad says that he is leaving and taking Colin with him. I cried as Alfie halluscinates a little blue train and watches his dad walking away and leaving him. The last sentence states,"Alfie's eyelids slowly closed as his father walked down the hallway, hand in hand with Colin, chasing after the little blue train." The ending is depressing and sad but the author does a really good job of playing with the reader's emotions and tying it together. I feel like I have a better understanding of schizophrenia now and I have more sympathy for people who have it. Thank you Janie, for letting me shed some worthwhile tears.