Beyond the Grave | Teen Ink

Beyond the Grave

By SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York
SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York

In "Beyond the Gate," by Jade Stemmler, Jade describes graveyards in a way most people don't. She finds them peaceful and fascinating. In fact she writes "They are the art of life." While this may sound odd to many since graveyards are for the dead, I understand her perfectly.

I have been graveyards far more times than an average teenager should. The last time I did, I was with my parents. It's hard to explain but as soon as my dad drove in, you could feel the atmosphere just change. Gone was that loud, busy city feel. Instead it was calm; just like the ocean in a way.I started wondering on whose dead body I was stepping on. How long had this dead body been here? My parents bursted into tears while I just stood there looking around. I felt ashamed that I was thinking these things while I was supposed to comfort my parents as a good daughter. There was a sense of calmness that cannot be explained in words. At that time, it weirded me out. What was wrong with me? I couldn't explain to my friends. As soon as I mentioned that I had visited a graveyard with my parents, they gave me looks of pity. Now, I know I am not the only person who sees graveyards this way. There are others. Perhaps I'm not so weird after all.