Feedback on "Grandma" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Grandma"

By bluebelugawhale GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
bluebelugawhale GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"april's day transcends november's year" ee cummings

The poem "Grandma" by Caitlin Chan struck me not simply because of its skill in portraying the life of the author's grandmother, but also because of the thoughtfulness in its writing. The line "They say the first taste she got of this bitter world/was sweet" is such a beautiful example of contrast. It made me think beyond the experiences of the grandmother to the reality of the world, and I was very impressed with the author's ability to convey such depth in a few lines. The author also managed to relay the grandmother's experiences - sleeping in dangerous conditions with an unsteady lifestyle - without seeming forced or at all cliche, and she brought it back to something perhaps more relatable. She ends on a lovely, familial, and positive note, saying her grandmother lived "Just long enough to see her second grandchild./ A daughter." Caitlin took me on a real journey with her poem, from her grandmother's life to personal contemplation to connecting the story to her own life. "Grandma" is a masterful work.The poem "Grandma" by Caitlin Chan struck me not simply because of its skill in portraying the life of the author's grandmother, but also because of the thoughtfulness in its writing. The line "They say the first taste she got of this bitter world/was sweet" is such a beautiful example of contrast. It made me think beyond the experiences of the grandmother to the reality of the world, and I was very impressed with the author's ability to convey such depth in a few lines. The author also managed to relay the grandmother's experiences - sleeping in dangerous conditions with an unsteady lifestyle - without seeming forced or at all cliche, and she brought it back to something perhaps more relatable. She ends on a lovely, familial, and positive note, saying her grandmother lived "Just long enough to see her second grandchild./ A daughter." Caitlin took me on a real journey with her poem, from her grandmother's life to personal contemplation to connecting the story to her own life. "Grandma" is a masterful work.