Feedback on Picture Perfect | Teen Ink

Feedback on Picture Perfect

March 3, 2015
By annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.


     In every Teen Ink edition, I always find the memoirs most interesting and every issue doesn’t fail to impress me with the different varieties of memoirs. “Picture Perfect” by Brandon Wei really stood out to me because it made me think twice about my family and how it was so different from his, yet I could still relate. In this memoir, I can picture all of Brandon’s relatives and all their relationships with each other. One simple action of taking a family picture can change my whole perspective on the family. He talked about his problems and all the complicated ties between each member in his family tree. It was the complete opposite from mine but I felt like our feelings were similar. I felt a connection, a bond.
     In Brandon’s family, some people didn’t exactly get along with each other. Even though this is true, he still wanted a perfect picture. He wanted to remember a moment like this, taking a picture on his grandma’s eightieth birthday. Inside it wasn’t perfect, but this picture would look close to it. The only thing was it was missing someone. This person hoped for a moment like this. Anyone, no matter what kind of family background they have, can relate to this feeling of wanting a memorable picture to keep. I can definitely relate. I don’t care if no one feels the same; I want to embrace this moment, to cherish it. It’s a one in a million chance, no matter how clichéd that is. This memoir made me really think back to the times when I took a family photo and how it felt so simple but spread warmth throughout me, regardless. I feel this is such a unique memoir to explain such a unique feeling.
     I guess this is because I’m such a memoir person.