I Wear It | Teen Ink

I Wear It

By WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
WinkieM SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“I Wear It” by Becky F is a simple, heartfelt story of love and memory. It tells of somebody who wears a certain scarf every day. The accessory brings bittersweet recollections of movie dates, first kisses, and the narrator’s lover.

The detailed descriptions, from the emerald hue to the plastered sequins, make it feel as though the soft green fabric is wrapped around my own neck. The writer uses imagery effectively. In addition, it is perfect for the February issue that it is published in, as this month is well-known for its impassioned holiday.

Perhaps the strongest parts of the story are the memories evoked on the character upon wearing the scarf. Just seeing the gift makes the narrator think of all the times spent with the loved one. Everyone has a sacred possession that generates such powerful emotions and flashbacks.

“I Wear It” transforms a plain scarf into a lively, nostalgic object. Thank you, Becky, for reminding readers of the true meaning of Valentine’s Day, and the importance of love.