“Teen Mom” Review This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I disagree with Felisha Feliciano’s review of the reality show “Teen Mom.”

Felisha mentions how it is an “inspiring show for other teen mothers.” However, these teen mothers don’t portray an accurate representation of parenthood. Instead, the show glorifies their lives as the teens focus on new cars, new clothes, and plastic surgery, instead of looking after their kids. It underestimates how hard parenting is, and the kids are neglected.

This show may influence a teenager’s ­decision to become a mother at an early age, even though she isn’t mature enough. It ­almost seems to encourage girls to get pregnant just for a chance to get on TV and become famous. Take Amber from season one, for example. Throughout the show, she hits, pushes, and verbally abuses her baby’s father, Gary. She should not be a role model for teens to look up to, but when teens see others doing something, chances are, they will follow and do the same thing. The phrase “monkey see, monkey do” may apply.

I think that “Teen Mom” does not promote a positive message and results in more harm than help.

KaylaaLovee said...
Even though i watch and adore this show, i agree with you 100%. I've actually heard teens say, "wow wouldnt this be nice". It's crazy to think that there is a show that is based on something that should not be glorified such as teen pregnency. I believe it just incuriges more unnessisary behavior. Great job!