New Kid Syndrome This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I couldn’t stop nodding my head as I read “New Kid Syndrome” by Amanda M. I also had the experience of switching schools, and I had to learn everything the hard way – including that people can sometimes accept you for who you are. It took me a while to understand. I used to go home and cry to my parents, complaining day after day. I wish I’d read this sooner because it definitely would have helped.

The tips in “New Kid Syndrome” could help any new kid make friends. No matter what race or gender, none of us likes to feel as if we don’t belong. Maybe after reading this, some teens who haven’t had the experience will understand what it’s like and try to make newcomers feel a bit more welcome. Thank you for publishing this article. It’ll definitely make a few, if not many, lives much easier.