MySpace, Facebook, who needs them? | Teen Ink

MySpace, Facebook, who needs them?

November 19, 2009
By Cody2 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Cody2 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

In the article 'Not In My Space' by Sara B. it says that MySpace and facebook could ruin your future. I totally agree with her in this article. People are being bullied, harassed and sexually harassed on these social networking sites. It's bad what people do to each other on these sites, from people being bullied I've heard stories of people committing suicide because of the intensity of the bulling that goes on. All those reasons have made me decide that I don't want or need one, if you have that chance of those things happening to you. All the people being bullied on these sites, could have avoided it all by not having one. The people that want to sexually harass someone online and off-line, there is something psychologically wrong with them. When she said it would haunt you, I took it as, if you write something and it discriminatory, profane, and or sexually explicit content and thing that you wouldn't say out loud or in front of your parents, your employers can see it. If your employer sees any of those negative things it could make you not get a promotion, or make you lose your job, and at that young age you don't want that.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 65 comments.


on Dec. 6 2021 at 5:47 pm
WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana
20 articles 5 photos 177 comments

Favorite Quote:
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

Yup def

123Sesame said...
on Feb. 23 2012 at 10:10 am
123Sesame, New York, New York
0 articles 0 photos 36 comments

I am in agreement with you when you say that many times, people just use social networking websites to stay connected with friends and family, and to have fun.

However, cyberbullying is more common than you realize. The severity of the bullying varies though. That's why we only hear about the sucicides that are the result of cyberbullying. We only hear about the really bad cases; But there are literally thousands of teens out there, just like you and me, who are constantly being bullied through cyberspace. People that don't have facebooks because they want to avoid the possibiliy of being cyberbullied aren't running away from the problem. They are being smart. Very, very smart. It is true. If you don't have a facebook, you won't get bullied on facebook. 

The fact is that if you block someone on facebook because they are bullying you, it is you who is, in fact, "running away from the problem." Though you probably don't mean to, you are simply saying to the bully: "I don't really want to deal with you right now. Go bother someone else will you?" And that person will. That person will go bully someone else....oops, I was preaching again wasn't I? :/ Sorry that you had to listen to all that my fellow teen! I just had to get that out!

 


on Dec. 17 2011 at 8:22 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California
45 articles 9 photos 564 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Although I understand the reasoning behind your article, I don't think it solves anything.  Most people who use these sites are connecting with friends or family and don't face these issues.  Also, by refusing to get a fb, or other social networking account, merely because there is the possibilty that something might happen is running away from the problem.  If someone is bullying you, block them and move on.

EMis1123 GOLD said...
on Jul. 27 2011 at 7:48 am
EMis1123 GOLD, Hilliard, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You might as well ask an artist to explain his art, or ask a poet to explain his poem. It defeats the purpose. The meaning is only clear through the search."
~Rick Riordan

"What you do, the way you think, makes you beautiful."
~Scott Westerfeld

I totally agree with everything you've said here--except that I have a fb page. You're right, a lot of nasty things can go on facebook, but something I wish you would have mentioned is how a little caution can go a long way. Not friending people you don't know or don't feel comfortable with is one step, another is watching what you post and comment. I personally use a lot of security on my page, and I'm always reviewing my posts before sending to make sure they're not offensive or revealing anything about where I live or what I look like. Maybe that's more security than bullying, but it still makes a huge difference in both scenarios. I'm glad you know how to cope without facebook--I'm still working on that ;-)

on Apr. 25 2011 at 2:41 pm
Dark_Angel95 PLATINUM, Hickman, Kentucky
25 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
A simple minded person can understand the most complicated things.

people are not bullied because they are stupid. they are bullied because the bully has insecuraties about themselves, and in order to make themselves feel better, they put other people down, and usually aim for people with low self-esteem, or low confidence.

on Apr. 25 2011 at 2:38 pm
Dark_Angel95 PLATINUM, Hickman, Kentucky
25 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
A simple minded person can understand the most complicated things.

well, if someone is bullying you, block them, and don't accept anyone that you don't know. when you make an account like that. just add your close friends and relatives. not the entire school, and whoever sends you a friend request.

on Mar. 23 2011 at 6:57 pm
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 324 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

That was really hard to understand... The purpose of "text talk" is to make it easier to read, not harder. I usually don't mind when people use Internet slang, but this was kind of... Different than usual.

Tobias BRONZE said...
on Mar. 17 2011 at 3:21 pm
Tobias BRONZE, Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 articles 1 photo 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I decide who offends me."- Klaus Kinski

I've never been a social network user, I really enjoy my privacy(just me), and my dad had one But I never used. I agree with this. Social networks introduced a new form of bullying to the dictionary, but on the other hand if used correctly Facebook and Myspce can be used as tools or just a way to have fun.

On a side note I think most of the people of our generation, however you define generation, will know not to do anything too stupid on these things or give out valuable info, some I mean, and perhaps pass it on. But if all this trouble with Facebook and other networks contunie, for all we know Facebook could become a long forgotten trend in the history book when we decide we're better off with out it. Maybe.


loms said...
on Mar. 14 2011 at 10:14 am
good job on righting

honeydipp23 said...
on Mar. 4 2011 at 10:48 am
honeydipp23, St.paul, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
yeah or kk

yes you can loose your job for having an facebook page thats why alot of adults thats working is loosing their jobs or their bosses is making them delete them sooooo you have an good point .!

honeydipp23 said...
on Mar. 4 2011 at 10:46 am
honeydipp23, St.paul, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
yeah or kk

iagree with you .. you have a really good point exspecially for thee younger kidds that arte sneaking behind there parents backs and making these pages its not good at all .. see on my facebok page i only have friends that i talk too & thee rst is family .! soooo if yall teens opr aldults dont want harrasment then edit your pages and dont add people you dont know at all ... thats why they have ignore buttons .!

dragon_kid84 said...
on Feb. 9 2011 at 9:43 am
dragon_kid84, Naples, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it.

i have a ? 4 u! WHY? y do u not cre whn people r harrased nd bullied every day?

dragon_kid84 said...
on Feb. 9 2011 at 9:41 am
dragon_kid84, Naples, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it.

i completly agree with this because of what cody2 said.

on Feb. 1 2011 at 11:38 am
i dont agree with this. people get bullied cus their stupid and they have to take care of their selfs and be mature 

lauren said...
on Jan. 19 2011 at 3:04 pm
facebook is a fun thing i love myspace and facebook

on Jan. 19 2011 at 12:47 pm
FrostbiteMark SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know the shows on TV?
I don't watch TV.
Yeah, but you are aware that there is an invention called television. And, on this invention they show shows, right?
Did you see the size of that gun he fired at us? It was bigger than him.

Facebook isn't such a problem. It's only a problem if you mess around on it and write stuff you shouldn't.

on Jan. 8 2011 at 8:57 pm
writingluver812 SILVER, Hudsonville, Michigan
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
you never know what you're capable of until you actually try.

I just got rid of my Facebook a month ago because I felt like I was on it too much. My mom also came home talking about people from her work who had lost jobs because of their Facebook's. And I really don't want to be a statistic when it comes to online bullying.

Bbb4313 GOLD said...
on Dec. 28 2010 at 9:39 pm
Bbb4313 GOLD, Gwinn, Michigan
12 articles 1 photo 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Creative minds never get bored." Unknown

You can't say that people that get sexually thrilled by children are messed up. Because some of those people just simply get turned on by children. They could be the family doctor, your therapist. A perfectly straight lawyer with a wife and two kids. The world is just screwed up like that.

Fell Angel said...
on Dec. 17 2010 at 2:07 pm

In one way I agree with you.Facebook bought a lot of trouble.On facebook we can see and discover things which we didn't want to find out and argue with friends,cousins,boyfriend (girlfriend) also some people waste a lot of their precious time for nothing.Pedophilia and fakes profiles are one of disadvantages of facebook.We can destroy our lifes with trifles.And for what?Because of stupid thing that are not worth all of that.Ok,this thing that I mention are not so important for someone but there are a lot of bad influences and troubles that brings facebook to us.But despite all that,there are some good sides of facebook.We can chat with friends from other country and improve our languages skills and also with our cousins and friends from school and friends which we don't see often.So to conclude facebook is not so dangerous if we know some our limits and if we are not 'addict'  and if we know to protect ourselves from bad influences of facebook.

 


EvieDreamer said...
on Dec. 16 2010 at 1:41 pm
It is true that facebook and sites like this brought a lot of, let's say, trouble, but I don't think that there is a problem with facebook. I think that the problem are people. I have a facebook profile, but I'm not 'facebook addict', I can spend weeks not checking the profile. Facebook can be very useful if you have some cousin or friend who lives on the other side of country, maby even world. It doesn't cost at all and you can talk with him, see the new photos, share some songs etc. If you accept only your true friends to follow you on facebook, don't let the information such as your phone number and you keep your profile private, there is no danger of being bullied or sexually harassed. So can we use it up in an appropriate way?