MySpace, Facebook, who needs them?

In the article 'Not In My Space' by Sara B. it says that MySpace and facebook could ruin your future. I totally agree with her in this article. People are being bullied, harassed and sexually harassed on these social networking sites. It's bad what people do to each other on these sites, from people being bullied I've heard stories of people committing suicide because of the intensity of the bulling that goes on. All those reasons have made me decide that I don't want or need one, if you have that chance of those things happening to you. All the people being bullied on these sites, could have avoided it all by not having one. The people that want to sexually harass someone online and off-line, there is something psychologically wrong with them. When she said it would haunt you, I took it as, if you write something and it discriminatory, profane, and or sexually explicit content and thing that you wouldn't say out loud or in front of your parents, your employers can see it. If your employer sees any of those negative things it could make you not get a promotion, or make you lose your job, and at that young age you don't want that.

savetheplanet said...
Although I understand the reasoning behind your article, I don't think it solves anything.  Most people who use these sites are connecting with friends or family and don't face these issues.  Also, by refusing to get a fb, or other social networking account, merely because there is the possibilty that something might happen is running away from the problem.  If someone is bullying you, block them and move on.

NighttimeVesper replied...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:10 am :

I am in agreement with you when you say that many times, people just use social networking websites to stay connected with friends and family, and to have fun.

However, cyberbullying is more common than you realize. The severity of the bullying varies though. That's why we only hear about the sucicides that are the result of cyberbullying. We only hear about the really bad cases; But there are literally thousands of teens out there, just like you and... (more »)

EMis1123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 7:48 am:
I totally agree with everything you've said here--except that I have a fb page. You're right, a lot of nasty things can go on facebook, but something I wish you would have mentioned is how a little caution can go a long way. Not friending people you don't know or don't feel comfortable with is one step, another is watching what you post and comment. I personally use a lot of security on my page, and I'm always reviewing my posts before sending to make sure they're not offensive or re... (more »)

Victoria_P said...
well, if someone is bullying you, block them, and don't accept anyone that you don't know. when you make an account like that. just add your close friends and relatives. not the entire school, and whoever sends you a friend request.

Tobias said...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 3:21 pm:

I've never been a social network user, I really enjoy my privacy(just me), and my dad had one But I never used. I agree with this. Social networks introduced a new form of bullying to the dictionary, but on the other hand if used correctly Facebook and Myspce can be used as tools or just a way to have fun.

On a side note I think most of the people of our generation, however you define generation, will know not to do anything too stupid on these things or give out valuable info, some I ... (more »)

loms said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:14 am:
good job on righting

dragon_kid84 said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:43 am:
i have a ? 4 u! WHY? y do u not cre whn people r harrased nd bullied every day?

Aspiringauhor replied...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 6:57 pm :
That was really hard to understand... The purpose of "text talk" is to make it easier to read, not harder. I usually don't mind when people use Internet slang, but this was kind of... Different than usual.

dragon_kid84 said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:41 am:
i completly agree with this because of what cody2 said.

freeziebby1234 said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 11:38 am:
i dont agree with this. people get bullied cus their stupid and they have to take care of their selfs and be mature 

Victoria_P replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm :
people are not bullied because they are stupid. they are bullied because the bully has insecuraties about themselves, and in order to make themselves feel better, they put other people down, and usually aim for people with low self-esteem, or low confidence.

FrostbiteMark said...
Facebook isn't such a problem. It's only a problem if you mess around on it and write stuff you shouldn't.

lauren replied...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm :
facebook is a fun thing i love myspace and facebook

writingluver812 said...
I just got rid of my Facebook a month ago because I felt like I was on it too much. My mom also came home talking about people from her work who had lost jobs because of their Facebook's. And I really don't want to be a statistic when it comes to online bullying.

honeydipp23 replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 10:48 am :
yes you can loose your job for having an facebook page thats why alot of adults thats working is loosing their jobs or their bosses is making them delete them sooooo you have an good point .!

Bbb4313 said...
You can't say that people that get sexually thrilled by children are messed up. Because some of those people just simply get turned on by children. They could be the family doctor, your therapist. A perfectly straight lawyer with a wife and two kids. The world is just screwed up like that.

Fell Angel said...

In one way I agree with you.Facebook bought a lot of trouble.On facebook we can see and discover things which we didn't want to find out and argue with friends,cousins,boyfriend (girlfriend) also some people waste a lot of their precious time for nothing.Pedophilia and fakes profiles are one of disadvantages of facebook.We can destroy our lifes with trifles.And for what?Because of stupid thing that are not worth all of that.Ok,this thing that I mention are not so important for someone but the... (more »)

EvieDreamer said...
It is true that facebook and sites like this brought a lot of, let's say, trouble, but I don't think that there is a problem with facebook. I think that the problem are people. I have a facebook profile, but I'm not 'facebook addict', I can spend weeks not checking the profile. Facebook can be very useful if you have some cousin or friend who lives on the other side of country, maby even world. It doesn't cost at all and you can talk with him, see the new photos, share some songs etc. If you acc... (more »)

Cody2 said...
I wrote this article and i have a facebook, never been harrased and i just wrote this for school and it was a feedback article so if yall are woundering noo this isn't about me but about people who are bullied and harrased by facebook

honeydipp23 replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 10:46 am :
iagree with you .. you have a really good point exspecially for thee younger kidds that arte sneaking behind there parents backs and making these pages its not good at all .. see on my facebok page i only have friends that i talk too & thee rst is family .! soooo if yall teens opr aldults dont want harrasment then edit your pages and dont add people you dont know at all ... thats why they have ignore buttons .!