Response to Lunch with Joyce | Teen Ink

Response to Lunch with Joyce

By Shanna Helgeland SILVER, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
Shanna Helgeland SILVER, Dell Rapids, South Dakota

I remember seeing various kinds and numerous amounts of homeless people before but I do remember one in particular that my mom and I had helped. He had no car, just what seemed to be luggage, and a black lab mix, both of whose names escape me right now. It was summertime, so the temperatures were high, and he appealed flushed and exhausted, with good reason. The man had been begging across the street from Wendy’s, and up the hill from the former Wal-Mart, and after stopping to hear his story, on how he was trying to get to Scotland to his disabled mom, we were touched. Pitying this stranger, we headed back down to Wal-Mart and bought him some groceries, and with the help of me, the dog geek, we also purchased some supplies for his dog. I did see him after two or four months, when my dad and I had gone to Scotland to visit my mom at her work. He had been doing much better, we had caught sight of him playing in the front yard of a house with his dog, in the same Hawaiian t-shirt that made him so distinct.