Body Image | Teen Ink

Body Image

Imagine this: You are in the bathroom, you look at yourself in the mirror and then you immediately leave the bathroom after looking at yourself. You feel disgusted. You can’t even look at your pictures. This feeling can be a distraction, this can even lead to anxiety, sadness, or depression and you can even feel more insecure than ever. This also can result to health problems because you might think about doing a diet or doing a cosmetic surgery in the future. If any of this interests you or relates to you keep reading because we can prevent these stuff from happening and ruining your lives. One way is to ignore what people say. I think people should always feel good about themselves and not worry about what the other people think.

Ignoring what other people think about you is one way to keep you from getting too insecure about what you look like. Don’t listen to what other people say, who cares what they say? If they tell you to jump off a building would you do it? According to study, most commercials used an appeal to beauty to sell their products. Ignore what they about what would make look good because not always their product works some products makes you look even worse. Many people have allergic reactions beauty products because all they think about is what would make them look good, they don’t think about what the products contains. According to the National Institute of Health, eating disorders affect about 5 million people each year. That’s a lot of people. Most of these people are at the age of 12 to 15. Most of these people consider changing their looks after seeing how good looking the people are in movies and in magazines. Now, don’t you think that the media have a huge impact in our lives? Ignoring what people say is not the only way to help feel confident about what you look like, another is being positive.

Being positive is another way to help you deal with body disorders. Believe me, being positive can help you overcome body disorders. Several studies shows that positive people who regularly express positive emotions are more resilient when facing stress, challenges, and adversity. Appreciate what your body can do; running, dancing, laughing, dreaming, etc. Remind yourself that “true beauty” is not simply skin deep. It gives you confidence when you feel good about yourself. When you look at yourself in the mirror, don’t focus on specific body parts. See yourself as you want others to see you, as a whole person. Hang out with positive people, it is easier to feel good about yourself when you are around people who recognize you for who you are. Trust me, this will help you not only with body image, it can also help you with other adversities.

Other people would say that body image is not a big deal. But it is a big deal. The definition of body image is what you think and feel about yourself. People that have negative body image may also have low self-esteem. These negative emotion can lead to anxiety, depression, sadness, and even suicidal thoughts. In a survey, 40% of women and about 20% of men agreed that they consider cosmetic surgery in the future. Most of these people had this idea after watching a movie and seeing models in magazines. Do you see now how huge of an impact the media has on us?

In closing, I would like to reiterate the facts. One of the best way to not let the media from getting into your head is to ignore what they say about what will make you look good. Being positive not only helps you deal with body disorders, by staying cool it helps you deal with other problems much easier as well. Think about all the things that your body can that others can’t do. Just because you don’t look the same as the people on magazines does not mean you have to change you what you look like. You are who you are, appreciate the gift that your parents gave you.

This is an argument essay to help young people deal with body image.