Homework, Good or Bad for You?

Do you get a lot of homework? Well if you do, have you ever thought your grades would be higher with less homework? You should look into it you might get some interesting feedback.

Homework is bad for you. Researchers say it is excessive and counterproductive(Current Events 10/27/06.) The U.S.A has one of the lowest test scores in the whole world because the teachers give high amounts of homework. Homework in high quantities doesn’t pay off. First, teachers say, “the government now requires schools to meet higher-than-ever achievement goals for students. If students don't succeed, the school faces penalties.” Second, many parents want their children to be able to get into the nation's best colleges and universities. These parents believe homework is a way to ensure students are learning at their full capacity.” (Cooper, Harris)

Another issue is that it creates stress. Families see it as an obstacle in their every day life. Kids don’t always get it done because they either don’t understand it-it wasn’t explained enough-, no one knows how to help them do it-parents don’t always understand how to help-, and of course they don’t always want to do homework. Researchers of health say the average homework your supposed to get is ten minutes a night, and most kids end up with an hour or more.

Also activities stay interesting for only so long. Which means students are led to boredom. Homework also denies kids of sports and social activity. “For example, scouting groups and sports teams teach cooperation and leadership, in addition to helping kids stay physically active. Another problem with too much homework is that parents can get too involved. They can put too much pressure on their kids and can confuse them by using different instructional techniques from the teacher's.”(Cooper, Harris)

Homework does teach kids responsibility and good study habits, but what about the important skills you get from sports and social activities. See? That's the issue right there. When you get a lot of homework you don’t want to play the sports, but get it done so your grades stay okay. You can ask almost every kid that plays sports, and I bet nine out of ten would say it’s hard to keep your grades high so you can play sports.

So what do you think should be done? Good homework assignments in the right amount will have positive effects.(Cooper, Harris) Bad homework assignments, or too much, will have the wrong kind of effects. The bottom line: Any kids in grades three through eighth shouldn’t do any more than 30 minutes of homework each night. (Cooper, Harris)

Bibliography
Cooper, Harris. "Kids Get Too Much Homework." Time For Kids volume 12, Issue 810/27/06 6. 12 Nov 2008

.edu/ehost/detail?vid=3

ProfessionalJaywalkerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:49 pm
I kindly disagree. I have an obscene amount of homework myself (2-5 hours a night). I'm not a fan, but I acknowledge how important it is for my education. My teachers have 48 minutes a day to cover a lot of information and that's only possible if I do work on my own. I've been forced to learn how to manage my time wisely, cope with stress, and prioritize. I have extracurriculars and a social life and a 4.0 GPA. I can't do all of the things I like; often I'm very stressed and tired and I have to ... (more »)

lololololol said...
Mar. 17 at 2:40 pm
WE HAZ TOO MUCH HOMEWORK!!! WE NEED NONE!!!! NO HOMEWORK!!!!!

Navi said...
Mar. 17 at 2:39 pm
I love homework, we should get more. Send this message to the districts if you WANT EDUCATION. I GET LOTS O HOMEWORK BUT I WANT MORE!

CALMDOWNIMHERE said...
Mar. 17 at 2:36 pm
I HATE HOMEWORK

lovergirl said...
i love homework

suballah replied...
Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:35 am
homework is dead

henry said...
Oct. 18, 2014 at 11:12 am
I have so much homework and so many hours of sports, I don't know what to do. I am getting so stressed out and my teachers just kepp giving us more. I AHTE HOMEWORK!

#1volleyballplayer replied...
I know how you feel but my sport season is over so i have more time to study!

wappylol said...
I do so much homework. My mom turns on the lights so I can see but I think I'm more used to staying up late doing work and I dont need very much light. My mom won't let me turn them off though

Filio said...
Homework causes me way too much stress. I cannot stand being stressed and so I naturally feel that ignoring it would make me feel better.   Obviously this all snowballs, etc etc. I used to be able to handle work in-school as in mostly do homework on the bus or at lunch, but now studies are being forced to home (which I believe to not teaching, more telling you what to do). I'm not nearly learning enough to pass the courses in school from the teachers.   Blah blah blah, I... (more »)

Goolog said...
Homework is the whole reason why I don't want to go to school everyday. I get about an hours worth of homework everyday but end up doing 2-3 hours. It's just too much and after that, I just don't feel mentally right.

FierySlayer replied...
You are right! I have to stay up till 12 to finish my homework!

jollygreengiant47 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:32 am
I have to kindly disagree.  Homework, though not universally liked, is important. Students learn how to manage time better, with school and sports. Perhaps, students may prioritize time for homework over sports.  Homework reiterates what was taught in the classroom. It's that extra push to help stick a concept in one's mind. I'm a procrastinator, but I can't argue with the fact homework is good. Sure, it can be excrutiatingly boring sometimes, but how the heck do ... (more »)

ComaTheFreak replied...
I'm sorry, but I believe you're wrong. Sure, homework helps learn prioritization, and you're right, practicing by yourself DOES help keep it fresh in the mind, but thats why it's important for teachers to give you time at the end of class, or just after the lesson, so that if you need help, they're right there, and you wont have to ask your parents for help. Do you think you're going to get 'homework' when you're working, during or after you finish school? Nop... (more »)

Vexarik replied...
Mar. 11 at 8:13 pm
More like the opposite of that

Vexarik replied...
Mar. 11 at 8:13 pm
More like the opposite of that

bookmouse said...
I had a class with a lot of cool group projects that needed out of class time. We wouldn't have been able to do the projects without spending time out of class. One of the biggest problems was coordinating between people outside of class time.  I think I would take an extra hour of school if it meant no (or significantly less) homework, but I don't know how many people agree with me.

robwalsh123 said...
May 22, 2013 at 8:16 am
Im involved in three different sports, i'm in all advance and ap classes and i have a jam packed social life schedule. While homework isnt as unbearable and as 'horrible as it is made out to be, it is a complete waste of time. By highschool most students end up doing their homework the period before the class it is due, which is not good since they problably be paying attention. And when i say most kids i mean moooostttt kids, i have a freind who would have everything done a week before ... (more »)

Fanngs said...
Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:07 am
Man, I play 4 sports all throughout the year live in the US and have straight A's... To me this reasearch is bullcrap

jvb23 replied...
Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:12 am
hey just cause u get good grades doessnt mean everyone else can.