Homework, Good or Bad for You? | Teen Ink

Homework, Good or Bad for You?

Do you get a lot of homework? Well if you do, have you ever thought your grades would be higher with less homework? You should look into it you might get some interesting feedback.

Homework is bad for you. Researchers say it is excessive and counterproductive(Current Events 10/27/06.) The U.S.A has one of the lowest test scores in the whole world because the teachers give high amounts of homework. Homework in high quantities doesn’t pay off. First, teachers say, “the government now requires schools to meet higher-than-ever achievement goals for students. If students don't succeed, the school faces penalties.” Second, many parents want their children to be able to get into the nation's best colleges and universities. These parents believe homework is a way to ensure students are learning at their full capacity.” (Cooper, Harris)

Another issue is that it creates stress. Families see it as an obstacle in their every day life. Kids don’t always get it done because they either don’t understand it-it wasn’t explained enough-, no one knows how to help them do it-parents don’t always understand how to help-, and of course they don’t always want to do homework. Researchers of health say the average homework your supposed to get is ten minutes a night, and most kids end up with an hour or more.

Also activities stay interesting for only so long. Which means students are led to boredom. Homework also denies kids of sports and social activity. “For example, scouting groups and sports teams teach cooperation and leadership, in addition to helping kids stay physically active. Another problem with too much homework is that parents can get too involved. They can put too much pressure on their kids and can confuse them by using different instructional techniques from the teacher's.”(Cooper, Harris)

Homework does teach kids responsibility and good study habits, but what about the important skills you get from sports and social activities. See? That's the issue right there. When you get a lot of homework you don’t want to play the sports, but get it done so your grades stay okay. You can ask almost every kid that plays sports, and I bet nine out of ten would say it’s hard to keep your grades high so you can play sports.

So what do you think should be done? Good homework assignments in the right amount will have positive effects.(Cooper, Harris) Bad homework assignments, or too much, will have the wrong kind of effects. The bottom line: Any kids in grades three through eighth shouldn’t do any more than 30 minutes of homework each night. (Cooper, Harris)

Bibliography
Cooper, Harris. "Kids Get Too Much Homework." Time For Kids volume 12, Issue 810/27/06 6. 12 Nov 2008

.edu/ehost/detail?vid=3

Although homework is heavily enforced and does create stress, it does give us more chances to correct our grades and enforces what we are being taught so that we may remember it in the future. My mother said even they had alot of homework back in her day and she still forgets some of it. No, she isnt old and she isnt forgetful, so that means that if we wanted to retain all the information we would have to do not 30 minutes of homework but 3 hours of homework per night. What this asks would make it so if we learned something in Seventh Grade we would probably forget it before collegue.

I am reading this for English homework!☺:D

Filthy Phil said...
This is just amazing

daly said...
on May. 4 2012 at 8:19 am
thanks for the info

It takes a billion years to do homework when you are assigned 50 geometry questions, spanish homework, biology homework, a ten page research paper, and you have to read a entire book IN ONE NIGHT!!! I have no idea how I will finish this without having no sleep. Keep in mind I am a freshman in high school and did not procrastinate on these assignments.

djfjhjhk said...
i am so board me tooooooo im falling asleep;o

lol!hig,f said...
hi ****** im typing this to you!!!☺☻♥♥♥♥

memyselfandi said...
homework is baaaaaaaaaaad i think it makes us bored with the subject so i dont want to do the school when im actually at school III HATE IT SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! please reply☺☻♥

elliott said...
Homework is bad. Homework keeps you indoors, then the goverment complains about kids are not outside enough/doing exersise. I hate hartless people.

RealisticWoman BRONZE, Nowhere Land, Alabama
I sit, yes. But it doesn't take a billion years to complete homework. And you will find that kids sit down for games and getting on facebook too. You'll find you put more hours of sitting down to do those things than you will homework and supposedly develop this arthritis and obesity from which you can prove by no standards. There are too many variables of your life to be able to single out one.

You are wrong lady, its not laziness. What do you do during homework? Running? or Walking? You are supposed to sit down while doing homework and that gives you arthritis and obesity.

Whoa, teens develop obesity and arthritis from sitting down too much? That's not blaming it on the homework, that's blaming it on the LAZINESS of the teens today. Kids only complain about homework because they don't want to do it. They don't listen in class. I understand there are some teachers that aren't very good. But, mostly, it's the kids who are to blame in the homework department.

jg13 said...
on Jul. 27 2011 at 10:51 am
this article is right.homework stresses me out alot and keeps me from doing activities. They should sue teachers who gives us more than 30 min of homework

Tanner said...
on Jun. 6 2011 at 10:01 am
theis it GREAT thanks

codkilla said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 8:28 am
homework is a bad thing because it effects students in their life.i remember my teacher mr.matthews said you should explore your life and i replied how can we do that if we get alot of homework/projects!

jk210 said...
on May. 11 2011 at 10:41 am
jk210, Newfield, Maine

Even though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death i fear no evil for my God is with my. And if my God is with me Whom then shall I fear

Dude this is awesome. I was actually writing a persuasive text for L.A. and i'm just about to finish it up and post in on teen ink myself. But get this, Im from massabesic witch  is also located in maine not far from where you are 

I'll send you the link for my persuasive when it's ready.  (if your interested.)

jk210 said...
on May. 11 2011 at 10:38 am
jk210, Newfield, Maine

If the homework is bad enough then you could develop obesity and possible arthritis from sitting down so much. These are of course very extreme conditions, The average teen is very active and will be unlikely to develop either even with tons of homework but again it is likley.

sirena0206 said...
thas stupid

mckenna14 said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 9:37 am
hey thanx for the help from your article im doing a debate in english on homework. great article!!!!!

spike3496 said...
im actually writing a persuasive essay for my engligh 1 class can u help me man?