Teen Drinking This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Have you ever been offered an alcoholic beverage? What about someone saying “Don’t worry, just have one little sip”? Most people have their first drink by the time they’re 13. That first drink can be the start of a troubled life.

Drinking can make teens feel good, but that lasts only a short time. Teenagers on shows like “Gossip Girl” or “Degrassi” get drunk regularly, but those shows rarely ­explore the problems alcohol can cause. ­Alcohol clouds your brain and hinders your ability to make decisions. Excessive drinking literally makes your brain shrink and can cause serious damage. Binge drinking can cause learning disabilities and damage your memory. It distorts your ­vision and leads to blackouts. Teenagers often think that drinking will give you more energy, but alcohol isn’t an energy drink; it’s a depressant.

Drinking alcohol affects your inhibitions and makes you do things you wouldn’t if you were sober. Many girls get pregnant and drop out of school because they make the mistake of drinking too much and having unprotected sex. Twelve percent of 15- to 17-year-olds reported having unprotected sex when drinking or using drugs. Also, 24 percent said that because of drinking or drugs they had “done more” sexually than they had intended.

Sometimes girls don’t have a choice. Rape also happens when people drink too much. It only takes one night to mess up your life.

Drinking and driving is one of the top causes of death for teen boys. An alcohol-­related motor vehicle crash kills one person every 33 minutes and injures someone every two minutes. The rate of teenagers driving drunk is so high that the government is trying to pass new laws restricting teen driving.

When we get to high school, friends start pressuring us to drink. High school students see alcohol as glamorous and a way to become popular. I created a survey at my school. Twenty-four of the 63 respondents predicted they would drink in high school. Eleven said maybe, and 28 said they don’t plan on drinking.

Regardless of what they say now, things can change. Teens starting high school want to fit in. They ­often go from being top dog in junior high to being “fresh meat.” Some people will do anything to be accepted, including potentially hurting themselves. They think that one drink won’t do anything. A little bit of alcohol probably won’t kill you, but it can lead to poor decisions.

I’ve been pressured to do many things, ­including drinking. Drinking causes you to be vulnerable; be safe. High school is the time to experiment with what you want to do in life, but if you’re experimenting with alcohol you could hurt someone, including ­yourself.

Cutie42 said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:06 pm:
I disagree with the no drinking statement, some tenagers know the effects of it and still do it, it does mes you up but they know the consequences that come with it but at the end of the day its their decision and you cant make them do anything they dont want to do, i know this might sound weird but i think drinking is ok for anybody because for some people it helps with medical problems or something like that its fine. You say that everytime a girl gets drunk they will always get pregnent due t... (more »)

Brandi is cool said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:05 pm:
The strory was interestung

lumpy13 said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:04 pm:
dont drink unless your 21

cheese said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:01 pm:
Teen drinking is very bad.

M.E.L.Bee replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 11:58 pm :
I wouldn't jump right to teen drinking is bad...and i definatly would say 'don't drink unless your 21'. i think alcohol is like anything, it can be dangerous if abused, but then again what isn't dangerous if abused?

Allie97 replied...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm :
I agree with you M.E.L.Bee...anything is dangerous if it is abused...

Ms. sunshine!! said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 12:00 pm:
okay, i tottaly understand where your coming from but your making it seem like achoal is such a bad thing we now live in an enviorment or at least some kids that its ok like its bad for kids to do illegal drinking but at the end of the day its there decision! another thing you said that girls get pregnant usually when they drink drinkings can mess with your mind but in my oppinion you still can stop it from happening!and if they think there going to far they will stop no kid is going to drink ... (more »)

kate5283 replied...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 12:18 pm :
okay you're saying that if a drunk person thinks they are going to far sexually then they will stop. thats not even true. if you're drunk, you lose your ability to think and make decisions like the girl wrote above. and some people do drink to hurt themselves. some people use alcohol to drink with pills. people do use it to hurt themselves or others, so get your facts straight. sorry girl.

Screename said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 11:59 am:
i loved it

studmuffin33 said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 11:58 am:
reading this article makes me question about how well teens decisions are. I cant imagine me drinking when i hit high school. its makes me feel extremly uneasy!

girlovergirl said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 11:58 am:
I really tthink that this explains a lot and why you shouldn't drink when your young or at all.

softballchick22 said...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 11:55 am:
I enjoyed this article. It was very persuasive and i really came away with a lot.

E.L.W. said...
Okay, so good article. But I have to add, there is nothing wrong with the actual act of drinking. We live in a society where I feel we are brainwashed as children into the mentality that a few sips, two fingers worth of wine will hurt you. Yes, underage drinking is illegal and I certainly don't advocate it. But nowhere in these anti-drinking articles do they mention that if your parents give it to you, if you have a few sips of communion wine, or you are supervised by a guardian the actual act o... (more »)

blackrose326 replied...
Nov. 27, 2009 at 8:44 am :
Great article
Next time I drink I'll think about this article & the effects of alchol( can't see straght srry 4 any mis sperlld words).
Anyway Ive already gotten in trouble when I was drinking & im only in the 8h grade. I almost got wrote up 5 times the day I had 2 bottles of vodca at school.
So yeah Ill def think about this article when my freend gives me a bottle

yepitsmedes replied...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm :
ookay...yoo only gottin writtin up for drinking at skool, i got suspended. & two bottles???? nd u only got writtin up. wow. ur lucky, nd u spelled alcohol wrong and vodka.

Actresspoet123 said...
i wish that this was posted at my school, it is so true

distant_dreamer said...
Great Job! All the facts are true, and you did a wonderful job at explaining it!! Keep it up!!!!!!!!! :)

woodenpanels said...
Your article was written well, but too forceful. I see your point and and what could make it so strong, but I feel no connection that it has with you. You speak from one side of the argument without allowing a contradicting point that admits that maybe some of what you are saying is wrong. Statistics are just fancy words that don't hold much meaning or understanding.
Next time try putting some of your own opinions in there. I want to feel what you are feeling- not just hear it.
more »)

StarSister7 said...
i love this! you make such good points, and i agree completely.

George said...
have a really fun high school and college experience