Teen Drinking This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Have you ever been offered an alcoholic beverage? What about someone saying “Don’t worry, just have one little sip”? Most people have their first drink by the time they’re 13. That first drink can be the start of a troubled life.

Drinking can make teens feel good, but that lasts only a short time. Teenagers on shows like “Gossip Girl” or “Degrassi” get drunk regularly, but those shows rarely ­explore the problems alcohol can cause. ­Alcohol clouds your brain and hinders your ability to make decisions. Excessive drinking literally makes your brain shrink and can cause serious damage. Binge drinking can cause learning disabilities and damage your memory. It distorts your ­vision and leads to blackouts. Teenagers often think that drinking will give you more energy, but alcohol isn’t an energy drink; it’s a depressant.

Drinking alcohol affects your inhibitions and makes you do things you wouldn’t if you were sober. Many girls get pregnant and drop out of school because they make the mistake of drinking too much and having unprotected sex. Twelve percent of 15- to 17-year-olds reported having unprotected sex when drinking or using drugs. Also, 24 percent said that because of drinking or drugs they had “done more” sexually than they had intended.

Sometimes girls don’t have a choice. Rape also happens when people drink too much. It only takes one night to mess up your life.

Drinking and driving is one of the top causes of death for teen boys. An alcohol-­related motor vehicle crash kills one person every 33 minutes and injures someone every two minutes. The rate of teenagers driving drunk is so high that the government is trying to pass new laws restricting teen driving.

When we get to high school, friends start pressuring us to drink. High school students see alcohol as glamorous and a way to become popular. I created a survey at my school. Twenty-four of the 63 respondents predicted they would drink in high school. Eleven said maybe, and 28 said they don’t plan on drinking.

Regardless of what they say now, things can change. Teens starting high school want to fit in. They ­often go from being top dog in junior high to being “fresh meat.” Some people will do anything to be accepted, including potentially hurting themselves. They think that one drink won’t do anything. A little bit of alcohol probably won’t kill you, but it can lead to poor decisions.

I’ve been pressured to do many things, ­including drinking. Drinking causes you to be vulnerable; be safe. High school is the time to experiment with what you want to do in life, but if you’re experimenting with alcohol you could hurt someone, including ­yourself.

sarah4president said...
well written

N.B.44 said...
This was a much needed piece of writing. I think it is so important for teens to know the effects of drinking and how it can hurt someone instantly.

toptenteens said...
I agree completely

salvy9669 said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm:
hi i can't say what u live or feel to make u do these harmful things to ur body but i can tell u that after the drug's effects wear off how do u feel? do u feel energetic or happy? or do u feel worn out and not soo goood? because the high only lasts a little while and then u'll have to come back into the real world realm[: so i'm just saying that i might not knw because of experience but from family members who have done drugs like acid and drinking and smoking, does a bad number to u physically... (more »)

zack31 said...
u would know

breebree replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 7:38 am :
latly ive been smoking alot of dmt and using acid and ive learned that scioety was really only implamented to keep me grounded in the physical realm but i can free myself, but your right drinking is a harmful drug

honeydipp23 replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 10:42 am :
sweetie drinking is really bad including smoking .! all your doing is hurting yourself .! ,, iwould stop if i where you .

drizzy replied...
May 9, 2011 at 8:36 am :
SPELLING???!!! LOL

ThePeaceDaisy replied...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm :
I say that smoking/drugs are SUICIDE.

Crash. said...
It is something to worry about. Nearly 90% of the kids at my school of 1,600, pr so the claim. Its not that bad if it is only a little. Or I won't drive after. But the laws are something to look out for as well. 

PrincessSparkle replied...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 6:04 pm :
Agreed completely.

zck31 said...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 7:20 am:
drinking and doing drugs can mess up your head. i remember when i broke my ankle the doctor gave me some pain relievers. the were so powerful i actually fell backwards into the bathtub when i got up to go. i threw up too. i never want to get high if it feels like that

Michelle Morningstar replied...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm :

It feels nothing like that...

Just saying...

zack31 replied...
Jan. 21, 2011 at 9:25 pm :
if u want to get together we can see

TigerAustin replied...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:53 am :
being high is way dif it relaxing or fun

zack31 replied...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm :
send me some grass and ill let u know

Apocalypse18 replied...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 5:56 pm :
You guys are terrible.

ohsopoisonous replied...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm :
I don't see a problem if it's a couple sips, not a strong enough beverage to get you too tipsy. I've had liquor before, being only 13, I only tried it for taste. I liked the taste. Haven't had it since. Just because you try it doesn't mean you're going to end up being hardcore on it.

xAMWxDR1ZZYxX43 replied...
May 9, 2011 at 8:38 am :
true that good point lol

lizzie replied...
May 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm :

haha...good luck in life hun..bein high feels nothin like that

hope your ankle is better though!