A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Melting Polar Ice Caps | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Melting Polar Ice Caps

By elizabethrobishaw BRONZE, Freeland , Michigan
elizabethrobishaw BRONZE, Freeland , Michigan

FOR PREVENTING THE ESCALATION AND LONG TERM PERPETUATION OF

MELTING POLAR ICE CAPS

It is a melancholy object to those who inhabit the poles in which the ground is literally melting beneath their feet, and is an ecological disaster for the arctic animals who thrive there. If the ice continues to melt at such a rapid pace the future for the people and animals that live there is going to be short. The poles have been frozen solid for at least the past 3 million years (and maybe longer),  but now the entire ice sheet is breaking up so fast that somewhere in the near future we will not have any at all.

I think it is agreed by all parties that the life-threatening occurrence of the melting polar ice caps is that the time we have to change our ways to stop the progression is getting smaller everyday.  If the temperatures continue to rise the effects of the change in temperature be different and vary around the world. Some areas will be affected by droughts which will cause our food supply to be compromised. A lot of places will have draughts that will endanger the lives of millions of people. Life on the permafrost is thawing and it releases huge amounts of greenhouse gases which is a major contributor to global warming. The temperature will go up faster, and the ice will melt faster. If someone found a solution for this they would save us from the inevitable heat and rise in water that the complete melting of the polar ice caps would insure.

But my intention is far from being confined to provide only for the betterment of the environment, but to benefit all of us in this ecosystem. My solution will not only stop the rising of the water when the ice melts, but to stop the rise in temp that would happen if they were to melt. The solution will enable us to reform the ice with the water from the melted ice.

As to my own part, I have studied the proposals of other projectors, and concluded that they are not nearly as efficient as they claim to be One solution that has been proposed is stop deforestation. Tropical deforestation this makes up for 10 percent of the world’s heat-trapping. All of this is just a fraction of the global warming in the environment. And while this may be a good long term solution the rapid increase in which the polar ice caps are melting may be too fast for for this to affect the outcome. My solution is an effective solution that will end the problem of the melting polar ice caps from the poles.

I will now present my own idea, which I hope will not be subject to any disagreement.

I humbly offer it to public consideration that humankind as a cohesive and cooperative unit, should all help by cooperating, and abstaining from adding to the already growing global warming. We will use huge freezers, which may be made from old freezer that people will donate in order to help us refreeze the warm ice caps.  We can also redirect colder water to go to the pole refreezing some of it on its own.The price of this is slime compared to the effect that will perspire if the melting of the polar ice continues to melt.

In this scenario water levels will not rise and the water will refreeze to form the poles that we once knew. Hydrologists will get together to make a plan to change the current to have it end up in the arctic to help refreeze the poles. By redirecting the current of colder water to the arctic the water will make the water a overall lower temperature self freezing back into ice. We will also have freezers made to freeze the water and make the ice which will go back into the water. We will use donated freezers to make bigger ones that will refreeze the still liquid water already in the poles.The cold water from the currents will also help the ice pieces fuse together, and all together this will refreeze the melting polar ice caps.

Of course the refreezing of the water will be a priority, and will gain attention and support from all over the world. Communities will help by getting together and donating freezers. All places will not be forced to donate but will need to give a certain amount to pay for it. We will learn about it in schools and help to fundraise, while scientist come up with an effective way to change the current and from which body of water we would use. The people and animals who live at the poles will be thankful as will the rest of the world when we come together to stop the catastrophic event that the complete melting of the polar ice would insure. 

These drastic and sudden changes may be difficult due to the problems of the freezer sizes and once the ice has been made it fusing with surrounding ice to reform into the poles, and also stability may be a issue. Another problem is how big the freezers will be and the problems in making and running those. Lastly time may be a issue if we just refreeze the ice, and don't solve the real issue at hand global warming how will the problem stayed solved without us having to in the future redo what we have already done.

I can think of no valid objection that may be introduced to antagonize this proposal: besides the problem of how we would run the freezers, as they will need a power source. We could use solar, wind, a alternative energy source or somehow stick to electricity.

Again, no one should dare to suggest these notions to me until they have a small spark of hope that these actions may be implemented.

It is not that I do not respect the input of others on the subject of solutions to this topic, but simply that I have endlessly researched the subject of the melting polar ice caps, and without any doubt my solution is the greatest and may be the only real solution to the problem currently.